Filter design + pump setup, need good knowledge please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I'm contemplating building a filter system and while that seems fairly straightforward, I wanted to ask a few questions:
1: best possible design for a filter (internally)
2: pumps! I've heard some people run a pump on the exit of the filter which makes good sense, but with this design surely you would need to have an air tight filter to maintain a flow rate? And also inlets/outlet position (top or bottom)?

The filter and the internals would be my first project, I can likely get a PVC or ABS 100 litre barrel to start the build but need to know relevant obstacles with designing such a thing.
In addition I can get hold of a pump that's non submerged easily which is why I want to run it after the filter to save any blockages but this creates other problems as I'm sure some of you are aware.
Any input would be great!
Thanks

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I forgot to say the flow rate is questionable, As the pond volume would be around 1500 gallons what sort of flow rate should I be looking at? I would guess 10-20gpm?

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
A pump will work on the outlet side of a biofilter ONLY if the filter is gravity fed. Pumps are designed and engineered to push water, not pull it. Also this configuration will still require good mechanical filtration to avoid clogging the filter and cavitating the pump.

Depending on projected fish load pond turnover rate should ideally be 1.5 to 2 times per hour or 2250 - 3000 gph for a 1500 gal. pond.

Reaction score
Lots of different ways of setting up pond filtration systems, one person's "straightforward" is another person's convoluted.
I like gravity fed bottom drain systems, but you should really have two pumps, one after the bottom drain and filter tanks, and another dedicated for the skimmer.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
My current pond is about the same size as yours, Vince.

I decided I want reliable. I want to be able to go on vacation and not worry. To this end, my main pump is about 20" off the bottom - it can't drain the pond. The filter is the tried and true upflow model with a very large drain set well below the top of the barrel. A previous pump I had would clog pretty quickly with algae, this one not so much. I put a large intake box that does a decent job at keeping large debris from from the pump. Other than that, I don't do mechanical filtration - I don't have the fish load.

A second and smaller pump sits on the bottom and feeds the bog. This will pull stuff from the bottom and feed plants.

The problem with a "filter before pump" system is feeding the pump with enough volume to keep the pump running well. I haven't much experience, but I would imagine the intake side needs to be of a 2x cross section to keep it running smooth. Like was said, pumps are not designed to pull efficiently, so the filter will have to be either below the water line or maybe very close with a bit of priming.

It ma be useful to know what you what to do with your pond? Is it a place to show off koi where the water must clear and tidy, or is a more of a water garden with a more natural look to it and with a lighter fish load?

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I save myself the headache of pond disasters by putting everything so that it drains back into the pond .My filters set in liners that run right back into the pond and all my hoses run inside the pond and my pumps are tied to a pipe that runs across the pond .Then i added security cameras .Next is the switched outlets that my son put in the so that i could turn different outlets off from inside the house .My son now found a switch that can be linked to your cell phone so that no matter where you are you can turn them off .It all comes down to thinking what is the worst thing that can happen to my pond .When I had my preformed my son noticed me unplugging things and then when I built the bigger pond he ran all the electric to the pond and the switch's inside my bedroom closet and marked it switch .I only have 16 fish but they are relying on me

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Some good ideas and theories, thanks for your replies folks. as I understand what you guys are saying;
You can run a filter either above water level or below, using a gravity type feed.
Or
Run the filter above water level, but you would then need to run the pump upstream (before) the filter.

My main concern was to keep the pump as clean as possible so filtering before the pump seemed a good idea.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
My main concern was to keep the pump as clean as possible so filtering before the pump seemed a good idea.

Filtering before the pump is a good idea, but it should be mechanical filtering. Not only does this protect the pump but it also, by removing most suspended solids from the water, reduces clogging in the biofilter and thus enables it to perform more efficiently.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
My pump has an intake box that prevent large things - pebbles, leaves, fish, snails, from get in. I opened my pump up after running for one year - very clean, nothing in the intake to worry about.

YMMV.

Ask a Question