Filter for pump

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I have a submersible pump. I've had it in the water since August. When I did the plumbing for the bog, I decided to put this crate over my pump as I had some algae build-up covering the intake area. I simply used a milk crate with some screen thinking it would stop the algae from clogging my pump.
After installing that I tried my new splitter feature to water my plants and the water flow was good... Fast forward to yesterday and my water flow was noticeably slower. I am pulling the pump this evening to clean it but should I be using something else, (provided my hunch is correct and it is clogged with algae). The water normally pumps into the bog so I'm not concerned with filtering it too much, I'm just trying to find an effective way to keep my pump from becoming clogged.

clogged.
pump box.JPG

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
No, I saw someone, I think jw talked about using it but I was unclear about whether or not it would remove too much stuff that my bog plants would use. I assume the batting goes on the outside? And how often should I be pulling my pump to clean it?

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I would not put quilt batting around my pump if that's what you mean. It would clog up in 10mins. I put the quilt batting inside a crate and then run a hose from my pump outlet and just let the water run over the batting. It's not pretty but I don't do it forever well sometimes I do. You could use something prettier like a nice pot w/ holes in it if you like but his is what mine looks like right now. It needs cleaning so don't mind the muck.
IMG_6185.JPG

Was your pump under that crate clogging up before or were you just worried about it clogging cuz you saw algae? I had my pump at one time inside a black plant pot w/ filter media surrounding it which was really used as my filter at that time. It never got clogged totally and I could tell when it needed cleaning because the out take went to the falls and when the falls slowed down I would pull it up and clean it all out w/ a hose. I got tired of pulling it out as it got heavy and finally I now have switched to the pre-filters that Colleen used too. They are not heavy but need cleaning more often, like once a month but I don't mind that at all. I can tell when it needs cleaning now also as the falls slow down.
IMG_5385.JPG

IMG_5816.JPG

Oh and here is the media I used to surround that first type of filter I used w/ the pump in the plastic plant pot w/ holes. I liked the green type w/ larger holes better as it did not clog as fast.
IMG_3860.JPG

I took the media and lined the bottom and sides all around the pump and then stuck pump in the middle and ran the tubing from the out take on the pump and the power cord out the top. Slit a piece of the media and made a hole for the tubing and the power cord and made sure that top piece of media fit tightly on top to keep all in place. The larger the pot you use the heavier to lift out cuz the crud in all that media gets awful heavy.

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I was just looking at these pictures j.w. My pump came with a bag that you put it into which was designed to keep debris from getting into the pump and I decided to use the milk crate thinking it would essentially do the same thing, keep my filter from getting clogged. I am assuming it is clogged due to the decreased water flow but maybe that's a normal thing and I just need to plan an pulling it out and cleaning it every few weeks.
I also guess I need to pull it out and actually look at it before assuming it's clogged to begin with... I also put my cart before my horse so at least I'm consistent.
I guess a better question would be how often do you pull your pump/filter to clean it?
I don't think those cylindrical filters would work since my pump has small intake vents on the rear of the pump.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
you do know on most pumps, those slotted intake covers can be removed and hose adapters can be used .
that said...
you can also zip tie 2 mesh plant baskets together with your pump inside. cut a hole for the hose and electrical cord. or fasten a hose adapter to it and run hose from the pumps input to the basket prefilter. this way you can move it around the pond as desired. or even "T" off, and run 2 or more. so you draw from multiple locations in the pond.

Last edited:

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Don't use those filter pump bags T, they clog up too fast. I clean my big prefilter deal about once a month. I cleaned that pot thing I made maybe once in the summer and that was it but like I said it was heavy. Try koiguys suggestion as it would be much lighter to pull out cuz I don't think you use media in his but maybe you do. Do you koiguy?

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Well my box thing is light, it is just sitting over the pump with a rock on it, nothing inside of it.
Ahhhhhh, so that's why you recommend those tubey things? Ok so what you just pull those out 1x a month and rinse them?? I got it now..
Man I'm gonna miss a lot of stuff if I keep drinking at work.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
See I was just going to leave and you yanked me back again. You can just leave your pump under that crate w/o it being in a screened bag and see how it goes. Wait and see what happens. Oh I already said that. You already have a bog as your filter too right so this pump is sending the water to the bog? No need to filter the pump. What kind of pump do you have? If that pump is like a Laguna w/ a plastic slotted thing on it then no worries just leave it alone and behave yourself :p

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Just when you think you're out...
Yep, the water goes into the bog. The only reason I got worried is I noticed a decrease in water pressure this morning and didn't know if I was doing something wrong.
Behave myself.. :stop:

Reaction score
Ok so I'm gonna ask the blonde moment question... If it's going to filter the same should I just stick with the screen?
It won't filter out more... But it may filter out less. It is also more porus as well as thicker so it will take much longer to "fill" up to the point of needing cleaning. I would use it wrapped around the outside of the crate.

Ask a Question