Filtration for a 6600 gallon pond

Reaction score
Country
United States
My new pond is a 24 ft. round x 3 ft. deep (roughly) . We have installed a fountain system that runs 2600 gph. Pump is 1/3 hp. My question is if I plan on putting fish in it what type of filtration system do I need and shouls I add an aerator if I have the fountain? Thanks !!

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Is that 24 foot diameter or circumference? If diameter then the pond's capacity is about 10,000 gallons. Is this a lined pond or earthen bottom?
The amount of biofiltration that you will need is not based on pond capacity but on what will be the approximate ultimate fish load.
However, if even a reasonable fish load is planned the turnover rate for the pond must be sufficient to move the Ammonia excreted by the fish and other pollutants to the mechanical and biofiltration at a rate that will minimize any effect to the fish. Normally, a turnover rate of 1.5 - 2 times per hour is recommended.
Returning to the opening question, if your pond's capacity is indeed 10,000 gallons then you will need 15,000 - 20,000 gph in flow rate if this is a lined pond. A 2600 gph fountain pump will be sorely inadequate. The filtration will need the ability to handle this flow rate if this is a lined pond. If an earthen bottom pond, supplemental filtration should not be required.

Reaction score
Country
United States
The pond is 24' in diameter. We did a water meter read when we filled it and we used roughly 6600 gallons of water.The pond is lined.I guess my question is would you recommend a waterfall and skimmer setup or a filter system with an exterior pump? We have a smaller pond with the skimmer and waterfalls and it works well but we were trying to get away from the waterfall and skimmer for this one.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
The pond is 24' in diameter. We did a water meter read when we filled it and we used roughly 6600 gallons of water.The pond is lined.I guess my question is would you recommend a waterfall and skimmer setup or a filter system with an exterior pump? We have a smaller pond with the skimmer and waterfalls and it works well but we were trying to get away from the waterfall and skimmer for this one.

The answer to this depends on how much external debris does the pond get daily. If you have trees nearby, you will certainly experience some degree of leaf drop. A skimmer would be indicated unless you want the daily chore or netting leaves out of the pond.
For this size pond I would certainly recommend a skimmer. 450+ square feet of water surface area will surely collect other external debris.
A skimmer can be used in combination with an external pump (minimum 10,000 gph). The waterfall is optional but a method of diffusing the water as it re-enters the pond might be desired.

Ask a Question