First Day of Nursery - Koi pond

Reaction score
My youngest (3yo) started Nursery school today. What a hard day for both of us. Its only 3 hours a day.

My oldest had gone to the same school, but I had forgotten the magic of this school.

Its called Little Trotters Nursery and Farm. Yes, its a 'farm'. As you walk up to the gate, there is a koi pond, with a bridge that you walk over to get to the school. There are ducks in the pond. Beyond that is a small field with a mini horse and goat and a pig. All sorts of animals scattered around, with a few cats walking around. The kids are encouraged to get there early to feed the animals and water the gardens (what more in life do 3yo's want?). They go into the cages to feed the rabbits.

Their koi pond is quite muddy. They said the ducks kick up all the muck off the bottom. The koi have had babies in there so there's a good amount of fish. I think maybe some quilt batting might help. But what a neat entrance for the kids and adults.

I see myself spending time helping out with the pond in the future. LOL!

JohnHuff

I know nothing.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
Kyrgyzstan
The kids are encouraged to get there early to feed the animals and water the gardens (what more in life do 3yo's want?). They go into the cages to feed the rabbits.
Free labor!

It's been a while since my kids were in kindergarten, but that sounds like a smashing idea. Set up a nursery school but in fact have lots of toddlers come and do my dirty work.

So, John Huff's Little Toddlers Nursery and Farm. Have the ankle biters come here and weed my garden, feed my fish, clean my filters and may be give me foot rubs. How much should I charge for their services?

kids-farming.jpg

Reaction score
You don't want to know how much I pay for 3 hours ...... its horrendous! But there is a waiting list of 100 kids.

I suppose you also have to throw in things like Teachers and jolly phonics ...... but other than that, yes! Kids would love to feed your fish!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
If I would have had a school like that to go to for all 12 grades maybe I would have loved to go instead of dreading each minute there. I just loved critters and still do :)

Reaction score
oh wow that nursery school sounds great and teaches more about what really is good about learning .

Its really cool. They will grow their own veggies, the teacher let each kid juice what they grow and suddenly you have a kid that loves veggies and green juice. Its a wonderful place for kids.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
You don't want to know how much I pay for 3 hours ...... its horrendous! But there is a waiting list of 100 kids.

I suppose you also have to throw in things like Teachers and jolly phonics ...... but other than that, yes! Kids would love to feed your fish!
Can we see some photos please Priscilla it sounds like the type of pre school I'd like to go too in my next incarnation :happy:

Dave

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
WOW! That sounds great! What ages are the kiddos -- is it "nursery" trough pre-K?

LOL, when I read your title, I thought you were referring to koi babies -- a "koi nursery," but this is even better. Hands-on experience is such a wonderful teacher, and they can start learning about cause & effect, and as you say, they can start learning to like veggies :)

And yes, I can see you spending a lot of time helping out with the koi, as well :whistle: My baby [and one-and-only] just started his Sophomore year at college this week. I miss him already...... But I have such fond memories of his elementary school years and all the interactions I had with his school. Not only was I active with classroom & PTA activities, but he was in Cub Scouts -- his scout pack was chartered by his elementary school, so many of the scouting activities we did also directly benefited his school. One year, their art classes made really cool 3-D type animals that a volunteer welded onto angle iron. Our scouts collected those huge cans that bulk foods come in, and quick-creted the art into those, then dug out and "planted" the art around the campus. Ah, I do miss those days.....

Please, lots of pictures!

Ask a Question