First Signs Of Flashing

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Hello All,

We opened our pond a couple weeks ago. I put Aqua MedZyme in all winter long with Arctic Blend and Clay. Last Sunday I did about 40% water change and added the Med Zyme, Microbe life PL and Clay. Temps last week were 59 in the pond, then the outside temp hit a low of 30 and we had snow. Today the pond is finally up to 54 again, but the fish are flashing. Tomorrow I am supposed to add more Microb PL and Clay--Should I treat with terminate and Prazi? Would I start that now or tomorrow after adding my PL? One fish has white goop on the tail fin.

Thank You

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
How would you describe the white gloop on the fishes tail , it may be anything from koi pox to fungus ?
When you say first signes of flashing is it just rubbing against the sides of the pond or leaping clear ?
I would first recomend you get one of the koi into the net then take a scrape and then lets get it under the lense so we can see what is effecting your koi .

Dave

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
How would you describe the white gloop on the fishes tail , it may be anything from koi pox to fungus ?
When you say first signes of flashing is it just rubbing against the sides of the pond or leaping clear ?
I would first recomend you get one of the koi into the net then take a scrape and then lets get it under the lense so we can see what is effecting your koi .

Dave
Hi Dave, Rubbing against the bottom of the pond sideways. The "goop" looks like a ball of glue or close to that. It doesn't appear to be fuzzy. I do have a couple that seem to get it--but then it goes away--this fish has never had it and is from a spawn a couple years ago. I don't have anyway to scrape, last year I had a vet come and she found Costia. I don't want to get that again.

It's almost 8 a.m. here and I just checked the Temp. down to 48F. I will go out a little later and check all my perimeters. Last weekend everything was Zero.
I am adding the PL today--would you suggest at least adding the Prazi or does that work better with the Terminate? But Temps are going below 50 at night still.

Thank You for Your Help

Ask a Question