First Year Pond Person

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
HI... I’ve been wanting a pond for many years and it finally came about last fall. This is our first summer with the new pond, and my wife and I love it. We went on many pond walks with envy, but finally took the dive. I’ve enjoyed gardening for many years, so the pond is now the focal point. We had a contractor build the pond and I did the planting design. I’m extremely impressed with those on the site that I’ve seen build their own ponds. We live in Northern Illinois and we’ve already had our first winter with the pond. It was such a tease to wait all winter for the spring to come. The total water volume is about 5,000 gals. With the deepest part just over 32”. A 15-20 ft stream on either side of the main pond area and a waterfall. I just found this site and have been reading many threads. Seems like a great group of folks that my wife and I can learn from. rob

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hello, Gort! Tee, hee! My favorite sci-fi movie growing up!

We'd love to see some pictures if you have any to post. Do you have fish?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Thank you all.. It's nice to find a place I can learn from. Here's a few photos. kind of hard to get it all in the picture. We don't have many a lot of fish, but about 6 koi, 3 golden orfe's, a coupled Shubunkins and calico fantail. Where holding off getting more fish until we get through a full season and learn.

IMG_2113.JPG
IMG_2108.JPG
IMG_2107.JPG
IMG_2103.JPG
IMG_2101.JPG
IMG_2100.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_2113.JPG
    IMG_2113.JPG
    83.9 KB · Views: 246
  • IMG_2108.JPG
    IMG_2108.JPG
    114.6 KB · Views: 206
  • IMG_2107.JPG
    IMG_2107.JPG
    109.8 KB · Views: 197
  • IMG_2103.JPG
    IMG_2103.JPG
    94.7 KB · Views: 240
  • IMG_2101.JPG
    IMG_2101.JPG
    83.6 KB · Views: 184

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Very nice! You could teach US about pond-scaping while you're learning about ponds. You have a stream, waterfall, a bridge, ROCKS (love rocks!), and driftwood....!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
WOW love it and it must have been a lot of work and the stump really adds to the whole thing,Did you take pics while you were building it

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
I have a lot of build pics as well. I'll just have to get them from the phone to the computer and not sure how best way to share that many.. Here's one more from last night. I did a lot of lighting. I enjoy the landscaping as well. My wife and I have named all the fish and getting to know each personality.

IMG_2117.JPG

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I have had my fish since 2004 and they all have names .Aggie and bert are my koi that are over 2 feet long and the cutest are my 2 fat fantails .I call them butt wigglers because of the way they swim ,they are popeye and olive oil .Aggie sometimes gets mad at me and will ignore me .Then I get her favorite treat out and all is forgiven .

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I have a lot of build pics as well. I'll just have to get them from the phone to the computer and not sure how best way to share that many.. Here's one more from last night. I did a lot of lighting. I enjoy the landscaping as well. My wife and I have named all the fish and getting to know each personality.
You can start a SHOWCASE album to share all of your pictures!

Ask a Question