j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Wishing it all goes well for ya Buck and no other ones die. Now hopefully your new ones will be fine also and do well in QT and then can be transferred in w/ the older ones.

Reaction score
So I went and bought a bigger aquarium and the pet store in my town, the only pet store outside of Walmart sells Brand X kits for $149, no empty tanks. They do NOT sell Brand X replacement filters. For pumps and filters they sell Y. I talked to the manager and wanted to know what their major malfunction was, and she just shrugged like I was insane. She didn't understand what my problem was. So I said, it was fine, I just want to buy an empty tank and she said I should try Rudy's.

I had never heard of Rudys and she told me where it was, and lo and behold it is a locally owned pet shop in my tiny little town that I had never heard of. I went down there and almost tripped over a rubbermaid stock tank full of koi! I said, "You have Koi?" And the guy said, "Yeah, got a lot of ponders coming in here all the time." So I said, what is your expertise level with koi, and he said he was not an expert, but he did have a 2000g pond.

I thought I died and went to heaven. We talked for about 30 minutes and basically it was verbatim the threads we've had here. You've got too much ammonia. No that's ok. Ahh, too much nitrite. Nope. Not enough O2, do you have a waterfall? Of course I do. Yeah, your water temperature is too high. 68 degrees. Must be some sort of toxin in the water. Yeah, maybe, how do I tell that? He had no idea. he did mention pond cycling and said my pond should get cloudy at some point, that hasn't happened yet.

So not super useful today, but he did have some weird aquarium test kits so I bought those. They only test PH and Ammonia, but I ran both tests and both were perfect. Zero ammonia, the PH showed a little lower than my other 2 tests, 7.5 versus 8.0.

Oh, and the koi he had for sale looked pretty questionable, but it might be an avenue I can sell my extra koi to once they start spawning. Either way, I'm just glad there is someone I can talk to face to face, there is no koi club here and I only know 1 other person with koi, but don't know him that well so don't talk to him too much.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Cool Buck and did you get the aquarium...........you didn't say. How big did you get?

Reaction score
Yeah, bought a 20g, can't use this once they grow up, but it's perfect for babies and it was only $20, it also saves me buying a bunch of other stuff right now, a big pump, filter stuff, etc. I guess I will have to plan on getting a preform outside and use it for plants/QT, but hopefully I can put that off a year. That will be a really nice project for next year.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Yeah, guess you can't put a 36" koi into a 20 gal tank! They'll be fine for now tho and you can keep a good eye on how they are doing. Wishing now I would'a done that w/ my new shubbies I bought cuz can't see them at all in the bath tub pond..........it's too green now!

Reaction score
Yeah, the aquarium will be good for a lot of reasons. I think I have a lot of observing to do, so glass on all sides will help that.

Reaction score
It's 7pm, do you know where your fish are? I do, they're all in my pond. I didn't have to fish any corpses out tonight! Words cannot describe how happy I am right now.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Happy for you too Buck and happy for the surviving fish! Things are looking better in your fishy world!

Reaction score
Yeah, I checked on them every 15 minutes from 6 until 9, was exhausting. The worst part was we almost had a thunderstorm tonight, had 50mph winds blow through, so my pond has quite a few leaves. Each time I saw a leaf floating on the surface I thought, that was it, that's my dying fish. So glad we made it through a day, I hope we can put this business behind us.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Hope it's over! Were all the ones you lost new ones? And how many did you lose? Glad you didn't lose any last night and how are things today?

Reaction score
Lost 3 total. First one was new, second was old, last one was new. Things are great out there today, everyone was in a single school, sometimes they do 2 schools and there is always at least 2 stragglers by themselves. I don't know what this means, but when I fed them it was total anarchy on the water's surface. That seems very positive.

Got the answer from the koi place, they are shipping on Monday, delivery on Tuesday. Very excited to have some koi in an aquairum, will be fun to see them up close, even in 100g your changes to observe them up close is limited.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
So guess you will have the aquarium all jump started by then and ready for them. Hope it all goes good for them and they arrive safely in good condition. You'll have to keep a close eye on the water and do testing to make sure all is well while they are in that tank but then you already know that so lets just pray they grow nicely for you and stay healthy!

Reaction score
Yeah, been adding tons of food to the aquarium (decided against pee due to the other ingredients beyond ammonia), and waiting for the ammonia to spike, so far it's up, but not what I would call a spike.

I briefly contemplated buying some feeder fish today to put in the tank, but that quickly seemed like a bone headed thing to do. The point here is to eliminate variables, not add a bunch. If I wanted things to be complicated I'd put them in the pond straight away.

But, the water in the QT has O2, so if it has no ammonia this weekend, and no bacteria by Tuesday I'll just do a cycle with fish, rather than fishless. Should be fine, plus I do have a jug of bacteria I could add. I didn't read anything about that though, so not sure how that plays into this process.

Ask a Question