Fish for 90 gallon pond?

Reaction score
Country
Canada
IM not a big fan of koi or goldfish and since I live in Canada it would get way too cold for tropicals so are there any unique coldwater fish that could survive minus 30?

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Well not sure what kind of fish but colleen is in Canada and she has koi and she lives in Medicine Hat .Welcome to the forum and it would help to know how deep your pond is and how big .Colleens I think is around 3 ft and she has ponds flowing into pond and she is building a new pond

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Welcome! Maybe you could check with a local fish hatchery about fish indigenous to your area, if you don't want ornamental fish.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
The closest hatchery sells trout but I don't know if those would work out too well

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I would talk to colleen she has had her koi for 20 years and as long as you follow what she does you may be fine .She does use pond heaters I know .I think they are 1500 watts but she only uses them on coldest nights .

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
You have a 90 gallon pond? I don't think there's many fish that would survive -30 degrees in a pond that small. It would probably freeze solid. Although @addy1 had a few shubunkin that survived being frozen solid I don't think it's good plan in general. And koi are definitely not a good choice for a pond your size.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I think that your specs may need to be re-evaluated. A 90 gallon pond 3 feet deep would only have a surface measurement of 2' x 2'. I am guessing that your pond is larger than that.

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
If it was me, I'd put in a couple of small Pumpkinseed or Bluegill sunfish. Problem is, while their bellies and sides are colourful, you'll have a hard time seeing them from above!
John

Ask a Question