fish for extreme climate

Reaction score
my pond is 310litres and would like to stock it with a catfish that is legal in australia. the temp ranges from 5.c on the coldest winter nights to 45.c on the warmest days. water temp goes down to about 12.c at its worst. i would prefer 1 or a few large fish rather than many small ones. it has cycled with goldfish for 4 months and they survived and thriving but now i want something catfish like to replace the goldfish. thank you in advance

Reaction score
if tropical or subtropical fish like salmon tail catfish are able to survive our mild winters please let me know
(y)

Reaction score
but what about people who keep a cichlid in a 50 gallon isn't there a slightly larger fish that could live on its own in a pond of my size instead of many tiny ones.

Reaction score
but if this is not the case can you please post suitable fish for my pond fish that can be legally obtained in Australia would be best!:rolleyes:

Last edited:

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Any of the various varieties of Goldfish would be suitable for a pond this size, but even then, because of the small size of your water feature, only two (2) maybe three (3) would be the maximum fish load.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Can you get those little fat fantails there or the molly type fish Ponddigger just did a video on you tube that I posted on here and to my pond post sissys pond .I have 2 of them and want more .I call them butt wigglers because of how they swim and I understand they really don't reproduce much

Ask a Question