Fish Pond Skimmer Advice

Reaction score
Country
United States
Can anyone offer some advice? I'm unsure how many gallons my fishpond has ? We moved into this home recently with the pond already here. The owner said it was a 1200 Gallon Fish Pond but we are being told it can be as much as 3,300 Gallons. The pond dimensions are 22 Feet long by 10 Feet Wide by 2 Feet Deep. The shape of the pond is a Figure-8 Shape. We found a pond guy will to install a Savio Skimmer. He recommends their Compact Skimmer for our pond and says it will do the job? After some research I wonder if their Standard Skimmer would be a better option for us. We already know we need the 8 1/2 Inch Face Plate. I don't know how many gallons our pump pumps water per hr, we have limited info on it. Please advise on which skimmer you think is better, the Compact 8 1/2 Face Plate or 8 1/2 Standard. I've spent most of my day in trying to gather this info but I feel more confused than anything. Is Savio a good brand and last through our Central Jersey cold winters? Many Thanks! Lisa

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
When I filled my pond, I measured it from my water meter. I have a Savio skimmer and do not have the compact one. My pond is 1700 gallons. It'll be helpful in your decision, if you have more information on your pump.

Welcome!

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Go with the Savio Standard Skimmer and you will never look back.
Sometime in the future you will need to know the flow rate of your pump.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I would go with the full size skimmer also, my pond is 3500 gallons and have the full size skimmer with the 16" faceplate

Reaction score
Country
United States
I would go with the full size skimmer also, my pond is 3500 gallons and have the full size skimmer with the 16" faceplate
Can anyone offer some advice? I'm unsure how many gallons my fishpond has ? We moved into this home recently with the pond already here. The owner said it was a 1200 Gallon Fish Pond but we are being told it can be as much as 3,300 Gallons. The pond dimensions are 22 Feet long by 10 Feet Wide by 2 Feet Deep. The shape of the pond is a Figure-8 Shape. We found a pond guy will to install a Savio Skimmer. He recommends their Compact Skimmer for our pond and says it will do the job? After some research I wonder if their Standard Skimmer would be a better option for us. We already know we need the 8 1/2 Inch Face Plate. I don't know how many gallons our pump pumps water per hr, we have limited info on it. Please advise on which skimmer you think is better, the Compact 8 1/2 Face Plate or 8 1/2 Standard. I've spent most of my day in trying to gather this info but I feel more confused than anything. Is Savio a good brand and last through our Central Jersey cold winters? Many Thanks! Lisa
This information is helpful! I just learned that my Sequence 1000 Pump pumps 5,100 gph. I'm told that once you consider the plants in the pond, the pipping it runs through and the dozen fish I have in the pond, I have less power and have more like 4800 gph of pumping going on. Now that you were all so helpful (and I thank you all) I've decided to go with the "Standardard" Savio. HOWEVER, I'm a little confused now if I should go with the 8 1/2 Inch Faceplate or if I go with 16 1/2 Inch Faceplate I don't know if it will compromise the system since my Figure-8 Shape pond is only 22x10 and it's 3,300 Gallons. My local pond place says bigger is NOT necessarily better. My waterfall is not more than 1 1/2 feet and 3 Feet high from the bottom of the fishpond. I only have that one pump, Sequence 1000 pumping approx 4,800 gph. My pond doesn't have many bells and whistles. Any recommendations on this one?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United States
My waterfall is not more than 1 1/2 feet and 3 Feet high from the bottom of the fishpond. I only have that one pump, Sequence 1000 pumping approx 4,800 gph. My pond doesn't have many bells and whistles. Do you think that 16 1/2 Inch plate is too large?

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
The 8 1/2" faceplate is appropriate for your pump. You can use a 16 1/2", but it would not improve water flow. So why spend the extra money?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I have to agree with Meyer here. I went with the 16" due to the fact I have a pear tree right above my skimmer/pond so I wanted the larger skimming area. When the flowers drop I get lots of debris. If you do not have much close to the pond then the 8 1/2 is enough.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thank you for your replies. I do have several trees that hang over our pond to provide shade for the fish. A pine tree, a birch tree and another that looks like a Pom Pom Tree which is shedding as we speak and it looks like there are tons of snowflakes in the water. I suppose then the 16 1/2 Inch is the better choice then since I do have lots of debris that fall into the pond.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
The 16" faceplate is used when one has a large pump. The extra width is for allowing for a proper water flow through the weir. The 8 1/2" is ideal for your size pump. It will handle large debris and maintain an optimum flow rate to facilitate debris movement through the weir. The 16' may slow the flow rate too much and allow debris to accumulate at the weir opening. Stay with the 8 1/2".

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
@Meyer Jordan , so am I wrong with thinking it gets more debris with the larger faceplate? I know the 8 1/2" weir is for 1800gph up to 5000gph. The 16" is for 5000gph to 8500gph. I have 5000gph in my pump so would I be better off with the 8 1/2" faceplate. I never had a issue with any debris issue at the weir opening. I am at the low end of the 16" faceplate gph but I thought it would be better then the 8 1/2" with my thinking anyway but I may be wrong here. I am very pleased with the performance of the setup but I do not want to give out wrong information if I am not correct in this.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I use a 16 inch weir, with the draw coming from my one pump that draws from the bottom of the pond and the skimmer. No clue on how much is drawn through the skimmer. The pump is 6800 gph, with the skimmer ball valve only open about 2/3. The pond piping wide open.

We have apple blossoms, maple spinners being drawn in beautifully right now. I can see where you would want enough draw to cause the right amount of flow. When I dial it down it does not draw as well. Never calculated it out, just picked the wide weir for maximum surface area draw.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks for talking this out, Meyer, Rob and Addy. Since I only have 5,100 gph and I'm told even less power comes of it due to linefeed, head pressure, etc. So I will now consider the 8 1/2 FP. Just a little torn now which way to go since Manufacturer of Savio and Reputable Pond Guy said bigger is better. I will eventually conclude which is best. Your input has been well taken.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Meyer builds ponds for others, I build for myself, he has more experience than I do. All I can speak of is how well mine is working with my set up. If I open the ball valve all of the way the draw is way too much. I keep it at 1/2 to 2/3 open depending on what is dropping. When the maple seeds drop it is open. They make more of a mess then tree leaves.

Ask a Question