Fish Question - Iridescent Shark

Reaction score
Does any one have any experience with these fish?

There is one in the pet store. Someone brought him in and asked for him to be re-homed. He is about 9inches right now.

The pet store has him in the koi tank, he is wayyyy too big for that tank. They have these clear partitions in the tank so the poor ID shark/cat fish can't turn properly. His nose is getting bumped up.

He's free to a good home.

Would he get on with the koi? Can I feed them all the same stuff?

My pond is turning into a mish mash humane society for reject fish! I have three koi with only 1 eye.

Thoughts? I really feel bad leaving him in that aquarium for one more day.

As far as size, my pond is 2200 gall, I am adding another 400/500 gall in the next few months. I THINK I can handle him. Of course my other fish are growing, I'm dealing with wild iguanas pooping in the pond, adding to the load as well. BUT I feel a real need to help this fish.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Does any one have any experience with these fish?

There is one in the pet store. Someone brought him in and asked for him to be re-homed. He is about 9inches right now.

The pet store has him in the koi tank, he is wayyyy too big for that tank. They have these clear partitions in the tank so the poor ID shark/cat fish can't turn properly. His nose is getting bumped up.

He's free to a good home.

Would he get on with the koi? Can I feed them all the same stuff?

My pond is turning into a mish mash humane society for reject fish! I have three koi with only 1 eye.

Thoughts? I really feel bad leaving him in that aquarium for one more day.

As far as size, my pond is 2200 gall, I am adding another 400/500 gall in the next few months. I THINK I can handle him. Of course my other fish are growing, I'm dealing with wild iguanas pooping in the pond, adding to the load as well. BUT I feel a real need to help this fish.

You will not be helping this fish or the fish you already have by increasing the fish load in your pond. Steps need to be taken to manage the organic load that is already extant in your pond. If not, ultimately your pond's eco-system will crash and you will loose all.

Sorry for using harsh language, but these are the facts.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
You will not be helping this fish or the fish you already have by increasing the fish load in your pond. Steps need to be taken to manage the organic load that is already extant in your pond. If not, ultimately your pond's eco-system will crash and you will loose all.

I totally agree on this but will also go one further you should never mix species like that you dont know if this fish is agressive or not , the small 27 year old koi we lost through old age this year I found in a tank with an Oscar as a tank mate who had beaten up on the koi quite badly , this koi never grew any bigger than 6" where as the other 27 year old koi we have is now 26".
If he is an agressive fish your three one eyed koi are then slightly disadvantaged and it could open them up for attack
You dont know if it will eat the other non koi species you have in your pond either , leave it where it is or get them to give it to an Aquarium
Not only that most feeds are specific for the species of fish nowadays and have slightly differing makeups vitamins etc
To finish Priscilla you have to stop being as you put it a humane Society for fish and say "No", I think your fish shop see's you as a bit of a push over whn it comes to getting rid of unwanted fish
As Meyer also says Sorry for using harsh language but again these are the facts

Dave

Last edited:
Reaction score

Do you think my 110 gall stock tank can handle him? At least for a while? Problem is, I don't have any bio going on in that. I have a pump wrapped in quilt batting that is circulating the water. The pond is well planted with umbrella palms, a water lily, hyacinth and water lettuce. It has some small comets, platys and mollies so its 'cycled' (if that's the right word).

This ID shark is actually a cat fish not sure why its called a shark. Guess its a marketing ploy that works.

I have a hard time with animals suffering.

I have read they are not aggressive to other fish. The one problem is they like to school. They like warmer water, so the 110gall temp should be fine.

I have a friend with a very large tilapia pond, but I don't know if they are too aggressive for this fish. Maybe I can just house him till I find a better home.

Reaction score
I totally agree on this but will also go one further you should never mix species like that you dont know if this fish is agressive or not , the small 27 year old koi we lost through old age this year I found in a tank with an Oscar as a tank mate who had beaten up on the koi quite badly , this koi never grew any bigger than 6" where as the other 27 year old koi we have is now 26".
If he is an agressive fish your three one eyed koi are then slightly disadvantaged and it could open them up for attack
You dont know if it will eat the other non koi species you have in your pond either , leave it where it is or get them to give it to an Aquarium
Not only that most feeds are specific for the species of fish nowadays and have slightly differing makeups vitamins etc
To finish Priscilla you have to stop being as you put it a humane Society for fish and say "No", I think your fish shop see's you as a bit of a push over whn it comes to getting rid of unwanted fish
As Meyer also says Sorry for using harsh language but again these are the facts

Dave

I am a pushover Dave. That's the problem. The guys just start grinning when I walk in.

Maybe I need to start a new rescue pond! There's an idea ..........

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Hi Priscilla, The fish sounds like it needs a new home and I think you are very kind for wanting to take it in. That being said with reading between the lines here since you are expanding your pond by about 20% which is a lot of work for minimal gain, it is my guess that there is a lot of bioload already and that is why you are enlarging it. Unless you have a strategy to either sell or give away fish as they get too large or too many I suggest you stop buying new fish. I stopped getting new fish about three years ago and no matter how tempted I was to buy more I knew it would end up badly for my existing fish. It takes a little of the fun out of the hobby because it is always exciting to add a new fish to the group. In retrospect I have not added any fish but have had a bunch of babies born in the pond since then which is just as fun or even better. Good luck with your decision!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
"This ID shark is actually a cat fish not sure why its called a shark. Guess its a marketing ploy that works", the word catfish should ring alarm bells Priscilla some get to monster size and eat all but the largest of fish .
Especially when you have temperatures that mean they can eat 24/7 365 , some years ago a number of Wells catfish were shipped to Spain and they are now monsters as long as a man is tall in some cases .
Anything that fits into their mouths goes in and stays in including dogs (and your not even sure what the species is as of yet) "OUCH" :(

Dave

Ask a Question