Fish Tank in wall

Discussion in 'Garden Pond Photography' started by shanezam203, Jun 13, 2010.

1. shanezam203

shanezam203 Rookie

I've been wanting to do this for a while now, today I put a fish tank in a basement wall.

I am real happy with it and the new fish are doing well!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Shane

shanezam203, Jun 13, 2010
    1. Advertising

2. shanezam203

linc2010

We used to use bottle caps to attract perch in Lake Erie. We'd pull them in 300 at a time. Two on a line. This was way before we realized it was bad for the environment. This reminds me of the fun we used to have. Thanks.

linc2010, Jun 13, 2010
    1. Advertising

3. shanezam203

shanezam203 Rookie

Thanks, I had to take the beer caps out after a few days because obviously they were rusting.

Just have regular blue gravel at the bottom now, but I still love the look in the wall.

shanezam203, Jun 19, 2010
  4. shanezam203

jason081180

does it stick out the other side of the wall as well? is it harder to clean that way. my wife wants one in the wall when we finish our basement.

jason081180, Jun 19, 2010
  5. shanezam203

shanezam203 Rookie

Yes it is roughly 17 inches long by 9 up and down and then 9 deep. So only 4+ inches stick out the front, the other is in the wall/ laundry room where I feed them/ change water.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here is the 6 gallon tank I used...

6. shanezam203

Squidhead

:frown:I miss my basement. The great thing about "through-the -walls" in the basement is you can spread the equiptment out so it's easy to reach. Well, if the other side of the wall is the unfinished side of the basement. I did a 125G that way. All that was in the tank was 2 pumps that were totally hidden by rockwork.

Shanezam, What is the tank made of ? Do you think it's safe to have it overhanging like that? Don't get me wrong, it looks great that way, but is it at risk for leaks or worse?

Squidhead, Jun 19, 2010
  7. shanezam203

Squidhead

I am guessing acrylic

Squidhead, Jun 19, 2010
  8. shanezam203

jason081180

looks like a custom made tank? i would love to do one that is custom made and bigger. i have two 75gal tanks and would love like a 300gal.

9. shanezam203

shanezam203 Rookie

Do you have any pics of your 125 gallon in the wall?

My little 6 gallon is sitting on drywall & 2x4 framed around it... I cut the hole the size of the tank, then put a 2x4 left to right.

The tank is Glass, it is a "Fluval Edge Aquarium "
    Here is some info on it.

[​IMG]

Modern, sleek nano style! The 6 gallon Fluval Edge can be filled to the very brim thanks to the glass top, providing high definition viewing from every angle. 3 Dimensional viewing of this little aqua marvel on your desk, bedside or countertop!

The partially sealed top reduces evaporation for less maintenance and a large, hidden opening allows oxygen exchange to keep fish healthy. The floating base design gives the set a very small footprint for easy placement and lends the aquarium a clean, contemporary look.

The Fluval Edge lighting and filtration systems are hidden beneath the removable cover for a clean presentation. The powerful, compact halogen light system provides over 3 watts of lighting per gallon.

This brilliant illumination creates beautiful "shimmer" effects and allows you to furnish the tank with a wide variety of live aquatic plants if desired. A 3-stage power filter provides mechanical, chemical and biological filtration to ensure a healthy aquatic environment. The floating base design imparts a truly distinct, cantilevered look to complement your decor.

The Fluval Edge Aquarium comes with lighting, filter and filter media, tap water conditioner, and aquarium conditioner to get your aquarium started right!

Aquarium measure 13.78" length x 16.93" width x 14.37" height and it use a 10W Halogen bulb.

10. shanezam203

jason081180

hmmm ill look in to it and show my wife.

11. shanezam203

shanezam203 Rookie

12. shanezam203

Squidhead

When I needed a custom tank I searched out quite a few places and this one
    http://www.glasscages.com/ had the best prices overall a few years ago. To save on shipping you can arrange to meet the delivery truck at a location near one of the cities they go to for deliveries. Just click on delivery schedule on the top if you find something. I think they go to Kansas City, I think that would be closest for you? They can meet you 1/2 way sometimes if there is a closer location to you that they are traveling to and from. I was able to get one of their "standard" sizes without having to have it custom made.

Squidhead, Jun 19, 2010
  13. shanezam203

Squidhead

Well I do and I don't. When my old desk top was showing signs of wanting to take a dump I started backing up all my digital pics. I should have them burned on a DVD, but the last time I went to find them I couldn't. Fortunately, when I was looking, I found pics of the kids when they where babies that I thought where gone forever. I only found some pictures in the same file that they where in. I may have removed them to a different file and renamed them, I really don't remember. I hope I can find them. I took pics of the front and all the equiptment. I actually made a few DIY's on it's construction in the wall, under the sand jets, and the sump filter. I know I have them because I have found them before, I only hope that when I downloaded them, I didn't erase them from the DVD some how. All I can find is some DIY CO2 stuff I built that I was selling, and a 29G planted tank I had in our kitchen when I first started doing planted tanks.

Squidhead, Jun 19, 2010
  14. shanezam203

ZmanArt007 Fish Keeper and Filmmaker

[SHNZAM 2] Haha thats funny.

I love the tank. I wish I had a place for one of those.

ZmanArt007, Jun 20, 2010
    1. Advertising