Fist time pond builder. Would like for you guys to check my progress

Reaction score
Country
Canada
How's it going guys, I created my first container pond about a month and a half ago. I have some hornworth at the bottom, with 6 water hyacinth plants and a water lettuce. I placed an airstone in the pond last week because I intend to put fish in it very soon. I've provided pictures to help.

This is my first try at this, and I want to make sore I'm doing it right so far. Over the course of the week, the water level drops a couple of inches. I refill the pond once a week with water, water from the hose but I've left out for a week to declorinate it.

There was a snail that would stay near the surface, but since I've put the airstone in, the snail disappeared.

I do intend to put fish, comet goldfish or minnows, but I am unsure if my pond is capable of supporting life yet. I know not a lot of shade is being provided.

I can use any tips and advice, and I look for to reading the feedback.

Attachments

• 20160701_202604.jpg
    20160701_202604.jpg
    195.9 KB · Views: 359
  • 20160701_202718.jpg
    20160701_202718.jpg
    260 KB · Views: 290
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Your pond is adorable - but it appears to be very small. Please consider the size if you add fish. We have comet goldfish that are 6 - 8 inches long. A couple of minnows would probably be a better choice.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Nice pond Welcome to our group!

Like said above I would stick with minnows, that is a small pond

Reaction score
How's it going guys, I created my first container pond about a month and a half ago. I have some hornworth at the bottom, with 6 water hyacinth plants and a water lettuce. I placed an airstone in the pond last week because I intend to put fish in it very soon. I've provided pictures to help.

This is my first try at this, and I want to make sore I'm doing it right so far. Over the course of the week, the water level drops a couple of inches. I refill the pond once a week with water, water from the hose but I've left out for a week to declorinate it.

There was a snail that would stay near the surface, but since I've put the airstone in, the snail disappeared.

I do intend to put fish, comet goldfish or minnows, but I am unsure if my pond is capable of supporting life yet. I know not a lot of shade is being provided.

I can use any tips and advice, and I look for to reading the feedback.
I would put KOI in the pond. Goldfish tend to dirty up the pond and breed quickly. KOI will take years to mature before they can breed.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Water level will fluctuate due to evaporation so no worries there. For fish, I'd recommend starting with a few small comets and see how you like it. They will grow in no time and take up more space than you expect so start small.

Don't be surprised that the plants that you have in there cover the entire surface in short order. You can always move thm to another container as this happens or a compost pile.

You may also find that this little venture starts you thinking of a bigger feature, maybe small stock tank, which leads to a bigger stock tank, then the hole in the ground, then....

Ask a Question