Forum Newbie,

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Hello,, We've had a small pond in the garden for a year or two,and we decided we wanted a bigger pond.
The empty pond was our first garden pond,
20140928_163730.jpg

Yup its was pretty nasty,, just had 5 fish in there and they were getting a lil big, so we picked up a preformed pond for $20, and came up with this

20140928_163746.jpg

Of course its not finished,but its a start

Attachments

• 20140928_163754.jpg
    20140928_163754.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 261

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Jutt
Bigger and bigger that's how it will be for the rest of your ponding lives

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Thanks for ll the welcome's if for i should say when we upgrade ill be using a liner, the preformed pond was a right pain in digging,least with the liner there's no set shape lol, any recommendations on plants?
Also going to be adding another 330 gph pump soon.

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Well Jutt there are a ton of plants but what most have recommended to me include hornwort, anacharis, parrot feather water lettuce and water hyacinth. You want some that sit on the bottom and aerate the pond and some that float on the surface. You can add potted plants if you like. I have rush and some sedges but there is a wide variety of plants that will do well in pots. Can't wait to see more pictures. Good Luck

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Thanks for ll the welcome's if for i should say when we upgrade ill be using a liner, the preformed pond was a right pain in digging,least with the liner there's no set shape lol, any recommendations on plants?
Also going to be adding another 330 gph pump soon.

Lots of folks feel the same as you about the preformed ponds - they seem like they would be simpler until you realize that hole has to be juuuuuuuust right!

Welcome!

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
,, would Barley Straw be a good option for algae control ?
All you can do is try it...... One thing I've learned is that some things work for some people, and don't work for others -- there are too many variables to say what will & what won't work. And trying different things is how we learn.

Basically, I think you'd need to define what you mean by "algae control," and you need to understand why ponds have algae in the first place. Some people don't want any algae at all -- not gonna happen. But algae in a pond isn't a bad thing, unless there's way too much of it, LOL! It's a sign that you have a balanced eco-system [again, unless you have too much]. Too much algae is a sign that you have too many nutrients in your water -- think of it as being over-fertilized -- that, and maybe too much sunshine. So your goal should be to control those situations -- don't overfeed your fish, provide some shade, or plants that provide shade. Adding plants or more plants to the pond can help, as well, as the plants will compete with the algae for those nutrients. Most of us don't use chemicals to control algae, but even something "natural" like barley straw is going to take time to work -- you'd probably be just as well off to add hydrogen peroxide to the water [that's what barley straw breaks down into].

You want the carpet-type algae that grows on the liner -- that's the good stuff! The fishies munch on that -- and it's also tadpole food.... String algae and suspended "pea soup" algae are usually the problem ones. They're frustrating, but not impossible -- sometimes it just takes time and patience.......lots of patience.......lots and lots of patience......:sleep:

Enjoy your pond and all the pleasures [:joyful:] and challenges [:confused::eek:] it brings you!

Ask a Question