Frog friendly mosquito eaters?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello all,

Does anyone have any reccommendations for frog-friendly fish to keep down the mosquito population in our 4' backyard pond?

We just installed this pond this spring and i'm afraid i'll forget to renew the mosquito dunks from time to time.

I read here that there are some frog friendly fish that will eat mosquito larvae e.g. the spotted blue eye (Pseudomugil gertrudae) but I'm having trouble finding them for sale (and when I do they're expensive ... ~$8 for one tiny fish!).

I just want a functional fish that will keep the mosquitos down.

Do you have any suggestions on what fish to put in the pond which will eat mosquito larvae while still allowing the frogs to breed?

Thanks and please let me know,
Davin

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
any tropical fish like guppy, molly are good too. You just put them in when the water warm and take them out when the water get cold.

I found that my goldfish alone couldn't combat mosquitoes larvae problem in shallower / smaller places so I put some molly in there and solved the problem.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thank you for the fast responses!

Please note that I'm looking for fish that are compatible with frogs / tadpoles though.

I know from personal experience that goldfish will eat tadpoles.

Are there any mosquito eating fish that won't attack tadpoles?

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States

Please note that I'm looking for fish that are compatible with frogs / tadpoles though.

Any omnivorous fish will eat mosquito larvae, but because they are omnivorous they may also eat tadpoles.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States

Like Meyer Jordan said. But the smaller then fish the best chance for the tadpole to survive :) So I suggest male guppy (they are smaller than female).

Smaug

God makes perfect. I just dug the hole
Reaction score
Country
United States
I have occasionally banished an overpopulation of molly or guppy from my tank to my pond. They don't live into the winter and there is no way I could or would catch them and put them back. As already stated they would eradicate skeeter larvae.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I dropped in some tadpoles this year, they were almost 2" long and 1/2" in diameter - no way the fish could eat them.

I haven't seen them since they went in, so I imagine they're hiding.

You say you have a 4' pond - is that diameter or depth?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
Goldfish wont fight with frogs and will eat mosquito larvae. If you have bull frogs though, those can actually eat the smaller goldfish.

Gambusia (Mosquito fish) will also clean up the larvae.... hence their name. They wont harm frogs but may gang up on tadpoles. You will have enough tadpoles not to worry I'm sure.

Minnows. They will anything wont touch the frogs or tadpoles.

All 3 types will survive winter well.

Reaction score
Country
United States
any tropical fish like guppy, molly are good too. You just put them in when the water warm and take them out when the water get cold.

I found that my goldfish alone couldn't combat mosquitoes larvae problem in shallower / smaller places so I put some molly in there and solved the problem.
I looked it up and it seems like both molly and guppies would be agressive towards their peers, even if not the tadpoles. I'm not certain on it, considering Google isn't the most reliable thing ever, but are there any types ir breeds you know of that wouldn't fight?

Ask a Question