Frog spawn overload

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Afternoon guys!

My fairly new pond set up has been over run by frog spawn! I have about 10-15 frogs in there currently, 8 gold fish and 4 shibunkins all approx 3-4inch.
I have 3 large bunchs of frog spawn which have been laid over the last 2 days.
I don't particually want my pond being over run by frogs. Will the fish eat them at their own leisure or am I best getting rid of them myself before they develop?
Just to let you know my fish aren't eating at the moment due to the cold water temp

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I get the same problem every year because of all the creeks here .I try to find the eggs and relocate them to a guys farm pond here .He loves them because they clean his pond .Some I take back to the creeks here also .They clog up the filters .Farmers love frogs in there farm ponds .

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I'd suggest transporting them to a nearby natural pond.
As far as frogs go, only so many can live in one spot, because too many frogs means not enough food, so when they get to that certain number, and food is running out, they'll leave. So, many will probably leave on their own at some point, but if you don't want to risk it, the best option is to bring them to a natural pond. The younger they are, the easier the transition should be.

Reaction score
I sometimes get an overload in my front ponds. It seems like there is some slime coating on the eggs that makes them unappetizing. Once they get to the tadpole stage, its all over. My fish eat them.

Ask a Question