Frogs....Frogs....Frogs....

Karen

I'd rather be Fishin'
Reaction score
Well....my Koi pond, that is still lacking the "KOI" part...is attracting some kind of wildlife, Frogs. I have a frog-pond, which my kids love. They went frog hunting (with the camera and a flashlight) and caught these images. We now have loads of eggs.....they counted up to 16 of these lil' guys. But at 2am I suspect that we have more according to their "singing"...LOL. OK, should I leave all these eggs and let them turn into tadpoles, etc? Or get them out? I think I have 2 of the 10 goldfish left and maybe...maybe a very small turtle. But...thousands of lil' eggs.

Attachments

• 007.jpg
    007.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 429
  • 004_1.jpg
    004_1.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 442

koidaddy

karps house of koi
Reaction score
Tis the season. ribbit!:)

Attachments

• DSC00027 (Custom).JPG
    DSC00027 (Custom).JPG
    34.4 KB · Views: 405
  • DSC00034 (Custom).JPG
    DSC00034 (Custom).JPG
    58.1 KB · Views: 341
Reaction score
Great pictures of toads.

You will end up with many thousands of toad, which your kids will have have fun catching. If you want to limit the number of toads around your yard or chopped up by the lawn mower you might want to remove some eggs. I let some eggs stay but did catch and relocate 40 toads this year that came to visit my pond. I also removed a lot of eggs. I am suspecting the toads came this year were from the couple thousand eggs I left in my pond last year.

I have many toad tadpoles in my pond now but not even close to the number I had last year.

Reaction score
I would like to have a few frogs in my pond. I have one in the small pond but none in the larger one. May have to go frog hunting at a natural ponds around town or tadpole catching. As long as I catch frog tadpoles and not toad tadpoles, TOADS I have. LOL

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
With your pond being fairly new I would relocate some if possible. If not just keep an eye on your ammonia, tadpoles release waste just like fish so it's a good idea to still monitor the water. But they also help greatly in helping cycle the pond so you want to leave some for sure. you should expect to see tiny toadlets in about 30 days give or take.:)

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I am leaving them be, want to what happens with the overload of tads. lol, No more black crickets!

Reaction score
This afternoon I saw my 2nd batch of tadpoles of the season in my pond .Some of them even managed to get into my Bio Filter. It figures. I released them back into the pond after I cleaned my filter pads.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
VIRGIN eyes???????????? malak...............you wish

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
NichrfUNLV said:
Pick up a few big red eared slider turtles....they will help control the problem

They eat fish too don't they? I am going to just see what happens naturally. to gazillion tads.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I think if they are too overcrowded some will move on to new territory eventually.
I've heard of several peeps that keep the sliders w/ there fish and don't have a problem. Course I'm sure if they don't get enough food from you they may turn on the fish but prolly only the slower ones. Kinda like survival of the fittest. I made the mistake of putting tads in my turtle pool when I was a kid thinking it would be like a little nature habitat for various critters and those sliders licked there chops and went right after the tads. Tads are much slower than fish and so they had some fresh food that day. No more tads in there after that episode as I was young and horrified over it :confused:

Ask a Question