getting my fish drunk...... seriously, watch.

Reaction score
Alrighty, carbon dosing.
I'm using 40% alc. 80 proof vodka.
I'm starting out .1 mls/ 25g. I started out with 10 mls today and for the next 3 days.
20140926_103113.jpg

here I am dosing...
20140926_103205.jpg

and the bubbles have started.
20140926_103246.jpg

so you ask why?
I have 0 phoshates, well that is what my test kit tells me at least. I do have algae, which means the algae is consuming it as fast as its being made and I'm going to get rid of it via carbon dosing.

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
so you ask why?
I have 0 phoshates, well that is what my test kit tells me at least. I do have algae, which means the algae is consuming it as fast as its being made and I'm going to get rid of it via carbon dosing.
Dieselplower, this is why he says he's doing it. This is the first I've heard of it, does it help the plants?

Reaction score
What are you doing here?Are you talking about Phosphates? A nutrient that plants use but is harmless to fish...
Correct. To a point. Phosphates and nitrates produce...... algae. Plants grow just fine with photosynthesis, you sure don't need alot of nutrients to grow a plant. I'm exciting the nitrogen cycle to get the 'bugs' to consume more nutrients faster.
Don't worry, I'll keep you posted on the progress.

Reaction score
Correct. To a point. Phosphates and nitrates produce...... algae. Plants grow just fine with photosynthesis, you sure don't need alot of nutrients to grow a plant. I'm exciting the nitrogen cycle to get the 'bugs' to consume more nutrients faster.
Don't worry, I'll keep you posted on the progress.
You know THEY will try to burn your house down don't ya???? Oh boy I'm starting a fire storm now.

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
So is this to help get rid of the algae or feed the plants? If it helps with the algae WE'RE ALL DRINKIN' VODKA TONIGHT AT THE POND... I can just imagine the hubby comes home and I'm sprawled out near the pond with a shotglass.. "1 for you" poured into the pond "2 for me" poured into the mouth...
I will totally fall even more in love with my pond if drinking with it helps. lol

Reaction score
So is this to help get rid of the algae or feed the plants? If it helps with the algae WE'RE ALL DRINKIN' VODKA TONIGHT AT THE POND... I can just imagine the hubby comes home and I'm sprawled out near the pond with a shotglass.. "1 for you" poured into the pond "2 for me" poured into the mouth...
I will totally fall even more in love with my pond if drinking with it helps. lol
I have to admit, I'm half in the bag.:)

I have only posted the last couple days because of the folks who Google everything and post it quickly (googleheads) with no experience or just add........... nothing.
I read so much 'biofiltration' but no one says how much / gallon in here, just 'oh, the reason you can't do that is because of lack of biofiltration.
News flash, now my whole pond is biofiltration. Bam.

Reaction score
I have to admit, I'm half in the bag.:)

I have only posted the last couple days because of the folks who Google everything and post it quickly (googleheads) with no experience or just add........... nothing.
I read so much 'biofiltration' but no one says how much / gallon in here, just 'oh, the reason you can't do that is because of lack of biofiltration.
News flash, now my whole pond is biofiltration. Bam.
Im pretty sure it's me that you are talking about in regards to biofiltration since you were just questioning me about it in a very strange manner in another thread. Your posts and questions didnt even really make sense. Do you have any specific questions? Yes nitrobacter and nitrosomonas can grow on all surfaces on a pond but that does not mean they are functioning at 100% capacity in all of those places. They need high levels of oxygen as well as clean surfaces in order to thrive. Not having any additional biofiltration on your pond may work for some but it will not work for those who like to stock their pond heavily or feed heavily. There is no way to keep ammonia and nitrite at 0 without additional biofiltration in many cases. There is no "how much/gallon" formula that will work for every pond. It depends on many things. How many fish? How big are the fish? How much do you feed them? What is the level of dissolved oxygen in the pond? How many plants are in the pond? ETC.

Reaction score
hahahha, I have NO IDEA what you just said but I like it anyway, especially since you ended it with Bam. :joyful:
Get ready for the rain of information you are getting ready to inflict on yourself.
I wish you well brave squirrel!! (y)
I'm heading to the pond to add some "chemicals"..... :wideyed:
yeah im pretty sure he/she is drinking the vodka straight since none of the posts today have made much sense!

Ask a Question