Getting no pull from the bottom drain

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a
Hi Folks,

I'm in the middle of hardscaping one of my ponds but the darn weather keeps us from finishing.

I've hired a company for the work and also had them replace the main line for the bottom drain back to the pump. It goes 4 inch pipe up the wall and then down to 3 inches and finally to 2 inches. They forgot to put in a check valve so that goes in tomorrow.

However, when we tried it today just to see if the flow was good we are getting no pull from the bottom drain from the pump. It just takes the water from the basket and that's it. Frustrating as heck.

If anyone has any ideas I'm all ears!

layout_zpsfdx4u7vp.jpg

20160727_165843_zpsxosbotrm.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a
No one has any ideas? I've tried running through the bead filter, nothing. I disconnected the filter and still nothing.

All is does is draw the water from the basket then stops no matter how many times I prime it. Since this is new pipe do you have to do anything specific to get it to fire up the first time?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a
A dead fish was the culprit :(

What happened I'm afraid is that when I turned off the pump to clear the basket the fish swam into the drain and was killed when I turned it back on.

I didn't know the MORONS who put in the drain 3 years ago never cut the pipe to fit the drain and I had a 3 inch gap down there. Now its fixed thanks to Eric at the pond digger who knew right away what was wrong.

Ask a Question