Goldfish ill

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
image.jpg
image.jpg
Hi forum feeling pretty down today. The first fish that I added into my pond has fallen ill. He lives with 9 other koi and he has always been the happy-go luck sort. Always trying to grab a food pallet but being to slow that a koi eats it ( though I always make sure he does get his fair share). Now suddenly he is quite inactive. He does not move as much as last time and he swims in a weird manner, it looks like he is unbalanced and might spjn over on his belly. He still does try and eat but he stops at just one pallet from his usual 5-6, it looks like he is finding difficulty in eating. But what concerns me most is his belly. One side is bigger than another. I am worried about any internal injury as I have seen him been smacked around by the koi, but nothing to serious. What do I do? Here is a photo of him.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
Country
Canada
It sounds like he has some swim bladder issues. One of the problems with the fancy goldfish. They usually need their water a bit warmer than your typical pond body types. They can also have issues caused from eating at the surface as the tend to gulp air when doing so. Feeding fancies sinking food usually goes a long way toward preventing issues. Unfortunately if he is suffering from swim bladder issues it is often a life long struggle.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Read about it, mine is not in an aquarium though. Also my goldfish might not have a swim ladder disorder as it is not continuously flipping upside down. It's just once in awhile, which I feel is more due to its buldge in one side of its stomach. Is a bulging stomach a sign of swim bladder disorder ?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Alp the first lesson you must learn is not to put to seperate types of fish together like this this isnt rocket science my friend , you shouldnt be putting slow moving fish like this in with faster moving fish like koi.
This may or may not be a swimbladder disorder persay in that the fish may have become damaged whilst trying to get fed and the swimbladder has burst if thats the case you would have to euthanate the fish .
Hopefully its just a swimbladder problem far easier than a burst one .
Chopped earthworm and garden peas have a laxative effect on your fishes gut thus vioding its intestine and releasing pressure

Dave

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hi Dave I must admit that it was wrong of me to mix the two types of fish. Now I am not sure if he has a swim bladder disorder. It's more he looks disorientated. He can dive as well as float stadyly it's when he tries to move fast that he gets disorientated. Thank you.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I'm sorry about your fish, he certainly is beautiful. Can you put him in a separate container? It'll be easier to feed and monitor him, just make sure you keep good water and oxygen conditions in the "hospital" tank.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Terrible news guys, my gold fish passed today.. This is devastating for me as I was going to prepare a QT tank for him, wen I saw him dead and apparently the other fish must have been a bit hungry....... Examined him upclose and saw no possible causes of death, accept for one side of his stomach bulging out. He has maybe reached his lifespan, as the pet store from which I bought him from is known for selling old fishes. Felling sad.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Before you go out to buy any future fish Alp remember to set up a QT unit prrior to going out however it has to be of matured water not tap water .
Keep the fish and companion fish in with it for 6-8 weeks tops , hopefully then we can cut your fatalities out :happy:

Dave

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Thanks Dave. But I don't think I am going to add anymore fish. The pond is ful!!!

Ask a Question