Goldfish keep spawning

Reaction score
Last year I was really excited to see lots of babies (goldfish)in my pond, but now it's getting impossible to keep clean.

Now that my pond is getting crowded, will they stop spawning or will I have to find a new home for some of my fish?:)

Reaction score
Of course they will keep spawning. You better look another pond/place for your fish. Or if you are eager to why not reconstruct your pond to a bigger area or build another pond.

Keeping topics alive!

Reaction score
I am told that those foods with color enhancers have steroids in them, and make for sterile fish.

Reaction score
I have never heard from Hikari, Terta or any other brand using steroids in their foods. You can enlarge your pond, give some away or even post to craig's list to get rid of some of them. You can try to limit the hiding places for fry or limit the food supply in an effort to get the fish to eat the fry. Good luck, Gail

Reaction score
I cant even get my goldfish to spawn.. I have almost 20 of them in my pond and its been over a year.. Itd be cool to get some goldfish fry that i know are healthy, whenever I buy from the pet shop they seem to come with some sort of illness.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
If you want your goldfish to spawn, they first of all need to be old enough. One year may not cut it. They cannot have any predators that will eat the eggs. They need a place to lay the eggs (suspended), the water temperature cannot be too cold.

I had a piece of driftwood in my first pond that they used to attach their eggs to. I was very surprised, after years of ponds to discover that little trick. Once you get this all right, you will have many fry. I had so many one summer the pet shops were buying them from me.

Ask a Question