Goldfish mouth won't close

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
this morning I noticed my big watonai goldfish with a tail in its mouth. He was trying to eat another fish but it stuck in the mouth and he couldn't swallow it. It took me about 3 tries to get the fish out of his mouth and now he cant seems to close his mouth. I tried to see if he could eat and apprearantly he could.

What do you think happen? And do you think his mouth will heal and go back to normal? :( Poor thing!!! What can I do for him?

image.jpg

image.jpg

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Not a clue -- poor guy! What kind of fish did he try to eat?

Thier little mouths are so small that I would be afraid to try to get in and pull it out. i've read about pulling things, like rocks, from koi, but they are bigger fish -- easier to see in there and more room to work in.

Have you done the clove oil stuff yet? It would be easier to get a good look if the fish was "out," and not struggling [and you'd be less stressed out, as well].

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
The fish he tried to eat was Otocinclus. It has long body, only the tail stuck out. I gave him time to try to swallow it but after had an hour I know the fish was stuck. I had to turn the oto around to be able to get it out from my goldfish mouth, didn't want to just pull it. I tried to be gentle as possible because I didn't want the dead fish fins or anything to poke in the goldfish mouth. The Otocinclus was dead alright, I got it out, whole.

At this hour his mouth is closing a bit more, half way. But still couldn't close the wole way. I'm hoping that he just have lock jaw and will just heal itself. I'm sure it throat is irritated. Wondering what I could do to help it. I think it'll live, unless it got infection!!!

He's the guy I bought from Raingarden.... The very expensive goldfish so I'll be sooooo sad if it died!!

Ps, the oto was just about the size of my little finger, a bit smaller, and about a little longer than an inch.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have heard of this happening when someone had a cory cat in a tank with a goldfish. Don't recall the out come though.

The only thing I would suggest is to keep tank water in pristine condition until the mouth is healed. And keep a close eye out for any unusual symptoms like redness, swelling, etc

Darn goldfish will try and eat anything!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
I have heard of this happening however whether or not you did damage [unintentionally] may be the cause of this .
If any koi is ever found with an object stuck in its mouth we would reach for the anethetic and then where the koi was under using tweezers we would tease out the blockage be it a small stone or pebble .
The mouth parts are made from very thin cartelage and this some time becomes 1) "locked" which after a while suddenly unlocked 2) "broken" which there isnt alot you can do about shy of taking it to the vet for rather expensive surgery
Personally I would put the fish under anethetically with oil of cloves just to see if there isnt something blocking the mouth from coming shut again and if there is attempt to gently pull the obstruction out .
Nephen dont panic here because I know of a koi that has a mouth like it was about to kiss you which is stuck open and is owned by my Kentish friend Dave Beaton .
I took one look at this poor koi and wrote it off, 15 years later that same koi, even with its mouth stuck open like that has astounded us all and is still alive and kicking in Daves pond :cool:

[Quasi was one koi I was happy to be wrong about] .

Dave

Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Thanks all!!! Good news!! The mouth is now seems to be almost back to normal. A little stuck out but I can see him use it (pulling it in and out) so I think nothing's been broken and he just had a lock jaw from being stuck with the fish for so long. That darn goldfish!!!

I still see a little rednes around the mouth so I'll keep an eye on him for a while.

The otocinclus was there before him and they've been together for a long time so I guess the oto was getting slower or dead already when the goldfish ate him.

My goldfish gave my a scare alright!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
which hey tend to do from time to time eh Nephen :LOL:
If its starting to move again then its a good sign things will start moving again .
Dave

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Stunning Yellow goldfish by the way Nephen :happy:
Even if it bit off more than it could chew :LOL:
Dave

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Thank you Dave. I love the golden/yellow color like that. It's really goldfish, not orange fish ;)

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I'm so glad that he's [he?] doing better! So now guess it just needs time to heal....It is a gorgeous color for a fish! Maybe next year I'll make another Watonai purchase and try for one that color.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
He seems to make a full recovery! This morning his mouth looks normal and eating like crazy again :) I was worried for nothing! (glad to that thought)

I'm trying to breed him and one of my mama watonai that's why he's in the indoor tank right now. but my mama watonai refuse to have egg.... i'm trying to get the condition right but she's not having it!

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
He seems to make a full recovery! This morning his mouth looks normal and eating like crazy again :) I was worried for nothing! (glad to that thought)
According to our pediatrician (though son is now almost 20 :cry:), a good parent is never worried for nothing -- no matter how trivial, there is a basis for that worry!

Ask a Question