Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Hi all.
Today my fish spawn Yey!

But then the boy shubby that I hoped to be a daddy just lay on the bottom and swim very slowly. I got a closer look of him and his scales are looking a little weird.

It's bit poking out. But it's like it's flaking and one tht looking like the goldfish egg was attach to his body.

I read the book the interpret manual of fish health but it wasn't really clear to me. It looks like a fish pox but also a bout if the slime coating too. Well, I have no clue. He is just not acting very active even though the water is 70 degree.

Ammonia 0
Nitrate 0
PH 8.2 (unusually high for my normal 7.6)

Here are pictures.
image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Other than being slow and inactive he's eating and seems ok otherwise.

I put him in a small tub by himself with fresh water and an airstone and he seems to be more active now swimming around.

Do you think this is a case of fish pox or something more serious?

Thanks
Anya.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Anya I cant see anything I'm afraid you have to much reflection going on in the Photo all I can see is a normal looking shubinkin at the moment and when I did think I saw something it was your finger poking out under the body of the fish I saw . :)
When you say scales lifting do you mean like with dropsy or just looking weird?
It could well be he's a tad underweight weve just come through winter remember :)

Dave

Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Hi Dave,
I think the second picture showed best. If you look near his front fin (the one that look clams to his body) along his body there is a little clear/whitish thing flaking out. It's like when you scrape yourself and the skin kinda peel off.

It's on his back a little and on his side closer to his face.

Well, I went down to look at him and his body looks normal now :) wondering what it was! It looked like him shedding his skin like a snake and now it's gone.

He ate and swim fine (though slowly) He didn't like the tube worm or the brine shrimp though, seems to prefer just a normal flake food.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Little bit of white reflecting off his pectoral fin ?
It may well be a little bit of excess mucus caused by your high Ph perhaps but he looks otherwise to be in rude health if you ca get any better photos it would be of a far better help to see if there is anything amiss.:)

Dave (y)

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
If you click on the pic it gets bigger like my pics get bigger when you click on them .I can see it a little could he have injured himself in the spawning frenzy .Not sure you can click on pics like that .Makes them full screen

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I was going to ask if high PH can cause something like that. It could very well be excess mucus since when I was holding him I didnt feel anything poking out or missing any scale. There is no sign of that this morning (the pH from my tap water is about 7.4-7.6 and that's what I used for holding him (dechlorine)) so it sounds like the pH might be the cause since that's the only thing different from my pond water??

On Saturday he was moving fine but Sunday he was just idle most of the time while other fish were chasing the girl. pond temp 70F.

Is there a way to reduce the PH other than do a water change?

Reaction score
Country
United States
After enlarging the second photo I can see the area you are talking about. It does look like excess slime coat coming off.

As mentioned it can be from the high ph or the spawning. I would not mess with the ph. Just do water changes as normal.

Personally I would just keep an eye on him.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I will deffinately keep an eye on him. I'm going to put him back in the pond tonight and see if he gets it again, if so i'll have to try to reduce the pH some how (most likely water change). I dont know how it got so high (8.2) my normal range is 7.6.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Hi Shakaho,
May be it's high becasue my normal rage was 7.6? it's been around that number all year last year and this year it just went up.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
yeh goldies are good with most ph and koi are the fussy ones about ph

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I put the fish back to the pond last night and this morning he's doing fine, swiming with the others so all in all he might just be tired from the spawning and had excess mucus from what ever reason.

I'm glad he's better now :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Worn out way to go champ :lol: wheb do we hear the splashes of little tiny fins (y)

Dave:)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
lol Dave, he was worn out but the girl was still a lot more active than him being chased by him and 3 more goldies ;)

Ask a Question