Gravel/Bog Filter

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
<Talking about that thing I've built, on the right side in picture>
First of all is it gravel filter or bog, or both are just synonyms?
Now, I actually wanted to fill the rocks upto the top water surface. But I'm out of rocks now.
Is it necessary to completely fill it until hiding the water or its just okay having 1"-2" water over them?
IMG_1294.JPG

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
<Talking about that thing I've built, on the right side in picture>
First of all is it gravel filter or bog, or both are just synonyms?
Now, I actually wanted to fill the rocks upto the top water surface. But I'm out of rocks now.
Is it necessary to completely fill it until hiding the water or its just okay having 1"-2" water over them?View attachment 93330

I call it a gravel filter, but labels are unimportant. Of importance is whether or not it will improve water quality (it will) and subsequently the optimal configuration to accomplish this.
Raising the gravel to at least the water level will create maximum surface area for bacteria to colonize. The more surface area available for bioconversion the better the water quality. It is basically that simple.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
I call it a gravel filter, but labels are unimportant. Of importance is whether or not it will improve water quality (it will) and subsequently the optimal configuration to accomplish this.
Raising the gravel to at least the water level will create maximum surface area for bacteria to colonize. The more surface area available for bioconversion the better the water quality. It is basically that simple.

Yikes. Just made mine and I have at least 6 inches of water over the gravel layer. I guess I need more gravel.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Yikes. Just made mine and I have at least 6 inches of water over the gravel layer. I guess I need more gravel.

I did not mean that having water over the surface of the gravel is a bad thing, only that bioconversion will be gained by utilizing all of the available submerged space.
Incidentally, most 'bog' plants do well with no more than 4 inches or less of water depth

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
Okay, so that completely depends upon how much BB you want to be colonized. That fine then, I add more if needed.

Right now want to grow veggies in there. Any experience regarding that?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
If you have a level of water above the pea gravel do you think the water will not exchange well with the water between the gravel?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Hi , ihave smthing like this too but i added gravel in net sacks to keep it handy and easy to clean , but uhv this plan to plant thts why , as far as i know , if ur planting normal vegetables , uil need gravel atlesst 5 inch above wwter bcz there roots need air or they will die in water , if uil have water plants then u can plant them in water.
But as filter uil need to think more , atsome point it will have enuf dirt mud that it will stop filtering to clear particles , thn uil need some drain pipe or clean out some mud , altho it will work as bio filter but not as mechanical for long

Last edited:

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Okay, so that completely depends upon how much BB you want to be colonized. That fine then, I add more if needed.

I tried veggies, but I did not have enough fish to supply nutrients, (years ago) they did grow just not well. have not tried since.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
I tried veggies, but I did not have enough fish to supply nutrients, (years ago) they did grow just not well. have not tried since.
Thts true ,What ihv observed too is tht in aquaponic the system is complicated and alot of hardwork while the amount of plants u can plant is very little also the area needed to fill water plus wwter will evaporate more , instead its easier to plant in soil nearby and drain some water from pond daily to water them

Last edited:

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
E. coli for one. It is in all pond water, especially ponds with fish. You will not see root vegetable grown in any aquaponics system.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada

You may experience an iron deficiency for the plants.
That's what I struggled with in my aquaponics system.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
I would not eat anything grown in fish pond water. Salmonella and E. coli are natural for fish.

Ask a Question