Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
"New pond syndrome".
Need to know size of pond (surface area) and capacity. Pump size. Number and size of fish. Type of filtration. And your location!!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
If you have suspended single cell algae you can get a uv light that will kill them. A lot of filters you can buy have one of these lights in them.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
uv lights can be found on ebay at cll pets or topdog sellers for under 40 dollars .But if you add bacteria that will help your filter get started .Most times they need help

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Cheap dirty trick... you could go get a nice rock from the river that has nice green algae on it, if you have algae on sides of pond and rocks, then the pea green water should go away. (although rinse off lightly) (not recommend if river very polluted) Plus you need good filtration and beneficial bacteria (which could come from nice rock with algae) or you could buy beneficial bacteria.

The first year I had a pond I got fresh heavy clay mud from down at the river and mixed with peat to make my own pond plant soil. Although that year some fish got in the basket of mud and I had muddy water for two weeks! But it did get my Wool Grass Bull rush to grow really well in that basket and before it took over the whole basket, I had tiny things that looked like tiny little worms moving in the shallow water in the mucky soil. Later I was told that I had really good beneficial nematodes or something like that, that was really good for pond ecosystem. Most people freak out when I tell them I used to get my pond soil from down at river, but way back then I never had pea green water and never had to worry cause I think the mud provided the bacterial and jump started the pond ecosystem. That was way back in the 1990's and back in 2000 I used to make really nice pond plants at this greenhouse in town with that clay mud and hand mixed it with peat and other organic soil, depending on what I was planting. I grew the best pond plants back then and had massive large floating water lettuce, larger than dinner plates!! Really, back then I was very open minded and had lots of success with water plants.

Although getting stuff from the river can mean getting everything too!! All my ponds had leeches back then, but they never sucked on the fish, I think they were Horse Leeches that suck from both ends, (live in the plants and are harmless) and they were good for the pond too I was told. Never had sick fish but some rivers in some areas they have very scary leaches so this method may not be recommended if you have really expensive fish. I have heard of really bad leaches down south that are bad and suck on fingers toes and fish too! Have not seen leaches in my ponds now for a few years, I think the water runs too fast now and they do not like fast moving water.

On the good side, I never had pea green water in my main ponds for over 24 years using that simple method.

Last but not least, I use and swear that Liquid pond peat really helped my little front yard pond last year that got pea green water {in the shade too} when nothing else seem to work.

Last edited:

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Cheap dirty trick... you could go get a nice rock from the river that has nice green algae on it, if you have algae on sides of pond and rocks, then the pea green water should go away. (although rinse off lightly) (not recommend if river very polluted) Plus you need good filtration and beneficial bacteria (which could come from nice rock with algae) or you could buy beneficial bacteria.

The first year I had a pond I got fresh heavy clay mud from down at the river and mixed with peat to make my own pond plant soil. Although that year some fish got in the basket of mud and I had muddy water for two weeks! But it did get my Wool Grass Bull rush to grow really well in that basket and before it took over the whole basket, I had tiny things that looked like tiny little worms moving in the shallow water in the mucky soil. Later I was told that I had really good beneficial nematodes or something like that, that was really good for pond ecosystem. Most people freak out when I tell them I used to get my pond soil from down at river, but way back then I never had pea green water and never had to worry cause I think the mud provided the bacterial and jump started the pond ecosystem. That was way back in the 1990's and back in 2000 I used to make really nice pond plants at this greenhouse in town with that clay mud and hand mixed it with peat and other organic soil, depending on what I was planting. I grew the best pond plants back then and had massive large floating water lettuce, larger than dinner plates!! Really, back then I was very open minded and had lots of success with water plants.

Although getting stuff from the river can mean getting everything too!! All my ponds had leeches back then, but they never sucked on the fish, I think they were Horse Leeches that suck from both ends, (live in the plants and are harmless) and they were good for the pond too I was told. Never had sick fish but some rivers in some areas they have very scary leaches so this method may not be recommended if you have really expensive fish. I have heard of really bad leaches down south that are bad and suck on fingers toes and fish too! Have not seen leaches in my ponds now for a few years, I think the water runs too fast now and they do not like fast moving water.

On the good side, I never had pea green water in my main ponds for over 24 years using that simple method.

Last but not least, I use and swear that Liquid pond peat really helped my little front yard pond last year that got pea green water {in the shade too} when nothing else seem to work.

I was quite surprised (and pleased) by your tale of the river mud. Too much fuss is made about keeping dirt out of a pond, when a little dirt is probably what the pond really needs. One of the pioneer icons of water quality in ponds, Norm Meck, stated many years ago that if you "wanted to get your Koi pond (NOTE: He said Koi pond) off to a good start, toss in a shovelful of good garden soil. It has everything that a pond needs".

Not too sure about the liquid peat, though..

Reaction score
terry, do you have filtration?
yes pump and filter box my pond os about 3500 litres using a 6000 litre filter box and 4000 litre pump both pump and filter have uv s in and new bulbs I have 4 4-5 inch goldfish what can I do

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
yes pump and filter box my pond os about 3500 litres using a 6000 litre filter box and 4000 litre pump both pump and filter have uv s in and new bulbs I have 4 4-5 inch goldfish what can I do

Am I right in assuming that you are located in the UK? If so, your ambient temperatures have not sufficiently risen enough to trigger active growth in your plants, so the planktonic algae is still the dominant nutrient consumer. As the temperatures rise this will change and the plants should out-compete the algae for the available nutrients.

Reaction score
Am I right in assuming that you are located in the UK? If so, your ambient temperatures have not sufficiently risen enough to trigger active growth in your plants, so the planktonic algae is still the dominant nutrient consumer. As the temperatures rise this will change and the plants should out-compete the algae for the available nutrients.
yes in the uk seems to be getting better can see the fish better now think its just me expecting it to clear over nite

Ask a Question