Greetings From Southeast AZ

Reaction score
I live in Southeast AZ about an hour from Tucson (and like 30 minutes from Tombstone) and have been contemplating a Koi pond for quite some time.
I have had fish tanks in the home, but for some reason it just does not seem the same.
So I have decided to go for it, and start my first backyard Koi Pond. I started yesterday after consulting with the local Koi and Fish place and watching countless You Tube videos. I am taking pictures and video clips to share, and hope it comes out good.
Going to put a coupe clips together and make a video for You Tube now. Will be back to share.

Don

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I have had fish tanks in the home, but for some reason it just does not seem the same.n

The natural setting of a pond is why I like it so much better than a fish tank.
Welcome to the forum and I am looking forward to seeing your photos and videos!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome_flip.gif
to our group! I used to live in phoenix. Make it deep (you need the cooling) I had a long stream with a 4 foot water fall that helped keep the water around 85 degrees all summer.

Look forward to your build.

Reaction score
WOW Thanks all! I plan to go 20'L X 5.5W X4' Deep. We don't freeze much here but a few times in the winter, Summer stays right around 98. After checking with the local Koi and Fish people, they have a nice pond that's abut 4' deep and it has been established for about 14 years with no issues.

I have a video I will post in another thread I saw here.
It's been hard digging because we have had a LOT of rain the last week when the Remnants of Tropical Depression Odile, so it's been muddy.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Welcome dklowery! You may want to consider a water garden with goldfish as an alternative. Advantages are: 1) Typically much lower bio load and way easier to maintain, plus your goldfish don't grow into huge fish that require bigger and bigger ponds. 2) you can have a lot of cool plants and don't have to worry about fish eating them, 3) much lower cost i.e. A penny save is a penny earned! I have spent less than $100 on fish since I started 6 years ago and no one thinks I'm a show off because I have goldfish. Also my pumps, filters and electricity expenses are relatively cheap compared to what some koi pond owners have. 4) You don't have to be an expert on medications and treatments for your prized fish 5) you can have all sort of other fun things around your pond like frogs and dragonflies and........ maybe snakes in az??
A lot of people get trapped into more expensive is always better but it is different for every person in what you are hoping to achieve and how much work you want to put into it. Good luck!

Reaction score
Thanks for the comments. I am actually no stranger to fish and tanks. I was born in Panama Canal Zone and we used to build our own tanks. Have had fresh water sharks, Gold Fish and that kind of stuff. I will probably put some gold fish in the pond as well, but I am ready to try the Koi thing. Just different from what I have always done.
I will consider your advise and continue research as I dig, who knows I may just end up with the gold fish, but at this time I am digging this to be a Koi pond.

Regards,

Ask a Question