Groundwater

Reaction score
Country
United States
First post to this forum!

Ok so I know this is a pretty common problem for a lot of Pond owners after researching the internet.I'd like to know what others have done (raising the pond is not an option) to get rid of groundwater lifting the liner.

I've read about two options:

1) French drain underneath pond to sump basin and sump pump it out.
-lowest point in pond is around 4' so hole for sump basin would have to be fairly deep.

2) Vent
-read about someone placing a PVC pipe down to the lowest point in the pond (underneath the liner) and out above the top. Principle being the hydrostatic pressure would push the water out the pipe then it could be diverted away from the pond.
-does anyone have an actual picture of this and details?

Are there any other options?

Thanks in advance for the feedback!

Scott

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome to our group!

Is the water flowing down and under the liner, like from run off? Or do you have water running under ground? I had to make up slope berms to divert runoff from flowing into the ponds.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
high water table then .You can put a drain under there but how long before it clogs is a question and can be expensive to do .Can you build your pond half above ground and half below ground .I did that only because of my septic tank and hard shale .Welcome and hope some one else has a better answer for you

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
My understanding is that basically this redirects the hydrostatic pressure. Give Easy Pro a call. They are very helpful people and can more adequately explain how this may be a solution to your ground water (water table) problem.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Oh by the way meyer that is what my sister is having put in her yard in the back .Her property as at the lowest level in the back yard and everything drains to there and is a mess .She was just here and showed me pics and I just checked your post out and realized it is the same .They have a small backhoe so they are going to save there with digging

Reaction score
Country
United States
Called easy pro this afternoon and they explained it to me.

The multi flow product is produced by varicore and works like if you filled a cup of water, placed a straw in, then plunged it. All the water would be dispersed through the straw. Makes sense.

Due to how small the pond is I will only need about a twenty foot piece. They also have an adapter that goes to PVC which can be sent to a sump basin and sump pumped elsewhere.

Have you used that diywatergardening before? Any good?

@sissy - can you post a picture of how your sister did hers?

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
She only had the guy out today and she has over 8 acres of land and they say they will place everything to dump into a dry well via a pipe .She only has to do the one acre in her back yard .

Reaction score
Country
United States
Meyer I ordered the multi flow strip, cap and adapter to 3 inch PVC the other day.

Sounds like that may be the way to go. Thanks for the info and links!

I'll try to provide an update to this once I have everything in place.

Reaction score
Wouldn't a layer of gravel or concrete hold the liner in place
Not necessarily. I've seen cases where the hydro-static pressure under a concrete swimming pool kept forcing the sealed coating to peel off the bottom of the pool. The water pressure was enough to force the water right through the concrete without damaging it, but it couldn't flow through the sealed surface coating and consequently caused it to peel off. There needs to be an alternate means of escape to relieve the built up pressure under the pond/pool.

Ask a Question