Helix Bio-mechanical reactor filter

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Does anyone have one of these and if so how do you like it? It is suppose to do both mechanical and biological filtration along with a waterfall-It also has moving bed

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
These are a relatively new product. I have not seen or heard any feedback, pro or con, from other Water Feature contractors.
To me, the question is- How do you like it? Are you satisfied that it performs as advertised? Does it fit your pond's filtration needs?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have been thinking about it as I do like the concept of having both biological and mechanical filtration. Its between helix reactor or bead filter such as Ultima II but I have read on different sites about the Ultima II problems like having problems with backwashing with the size of the pump they are using. I do have the Helix skimmer and love it-

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Brandy- I do not have this filter but I am highly interested in it as I would like to add another waterfall to my feature.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Last edited:

Acorn Ponds & Waterfalls

Ponds Done Right, Customers Served Right
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Just did a google search on your your thread title and there are a number of websites that come up. How did you hear about these filters? Do you know people who have them?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Just did a google search on your your thread title and there are a number of websites that come up. How did you hear about these filters? Do you know people who have them?
No I saw the Helix Bio mechanical Reactor filter at a convention center while on vacation. I purchased the Helix skimmer which I am so happy I did. I don't worry about my fish getting trapped inside the skimmer and the leaves it pickups is like no other. I read many articles about the reactor but cant find any reviews by people who have them.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
They claim it will convert 1lb of fish food each day, 30 lbs a month or 365 lbs a year!

I would like to see the calculations used to determine this claim.
One pound = 453.6 grams. One 12" Koi weighs about 475 grams and produces about 1 gram of Ammonia per day. If this Koi is fed the recommended 2% body weight per day, it will consume 9.5 grams of food. One pound of food (453.6 grams) divided by 9.5 grams of food per 12" Koi = 47.75 total fish (47 grams of Ammonia) that this filter will support. That is a lot of fish mass (and Ammonia) for a filter of this size (even 'floating bed').
The claim may be accurate, but with any claim, it needs to be backed up with hard data.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States

No I saw the Helix Bio mechanical Reactor filter at a convention center while on vacation. I purchased the Helix skimmer which I am so happy I did. I don't worry about my fish getting trapped inside the skimmer and the leaves it pickups is like no other. I use to have a skippy filter but
I would like to see the calculations used to determine this claim.
One pound = 453.6 grams. One 12" Koi weighs about 475 grams and produces about 1 gram of Ammonia per day. If this Koi is fed the recommended 2% body weight per day, it will consume 9.5 grams of food. One pound of food (453.6 grams) divided by 9.5 grams of food per 12" Koi = 47.75 total fish (47 grams of Ammonia) that this filter will support. That is a lot of fish mass (and Ammonia) for a filter of this size (even 'floating bed').
The claim may be accurate, but with any claim, it needs to be backed up with hard data.

This seems to be my problem. I cant find anyone who has provided a review or who has one-if it actually does what it claims this would be great

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
No I saw the Helix Bio mechanical Reactor filter at a convention center while on vacation. I purchased the Helix skimmer which I am so happy I did. I don't worry about my fish getting trapped inside the skimmer and the leaves it pickups is like no other. I use to have a skippy filter but

This seems to be my problem. I cant find anyone who has provided a review or who has one-if it actually does what it claims this would be great

Let's carry the original calculations one step further.
1 sq/ft SSA of Nitrifying bacteria will process one milligram of Ammonia every 24 hours. There are 1000 milligrams in one gram.The claim is that this filter will convert 47 grams or 47,000 milligrams of Ammonia per day. This would require, as earlier shown, 47,000 sq/ft of SSA. This would take a considerable larger filter than the one shown, even 'floating bed'.
Hard supporting data is required to support this stated claim.
To be fair, floating bed filters are considerable more efficient than static bed filters. But size limits the total functioning capacity of any bio-filter.This filter just does not appear large enough to convert 47 grams of Ammonia per day.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
What is the calculation for ammonia from weight to volume?
I haven't heard of ammonia being measured as weight before.

Ask a Question