Hello from Bay Area, California

TK6

Reaction score
Hello,
Well the wife and I purchased a house with a 1000 gallon pond last November. I've kept aquarium fish for many years, but this will be my first foray into keeping fish in a pond. I've added some feeder goldfish/minnows, then three Sarasa Comets and two small (tosai) koi. The pond has a skimmer and two Aqua UV lights inline to the waterfall. I'm in the process of adding water plants and finding some more shade for the pond. Next year, I will make the pond bigger by digging deeper. I would like to make it six feet deep before the fish get too big. Here is a picture of the pond as it was before we bought the house.
PONDbefore.jpg

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
welcome and looks like you get good shade and at least you have some nice rocks to reuse and happy i do not see rocks in the pond .Love that focal rock in the pond though ..It looks like some one that built it knew what they were doing

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Welcome! Nice pond. You'll really enjoy having it as well as improving it over the years! How many gallons does it hold?

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Hello,
I'm in the process of adding water plants and finding some more shade for the pond. Next year, I will make the pond bigger by digging deeper. I would like to make it six feet deep before the fish get too big.View attachment 68799

Water lilies can help shade the pond really nicely. Are you sure you want to go 6ft deep? Thats REALLY deep!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
TK6
Love the way you have the rocks stacked all the way around the pond. Your whole set up is really nice :)

TK6

Reaction score
It's at least 1000 gallons. (Kind of hard to calculate with the two stepped shelves.) Only two feet deep in the center though. It's in direct sun until about 6pm, when about 1/4 gets some shade. I will be erecting a patio umbrella (or shade sail) to block some midday sun. The water lillies I ordered two weeks ago finally arrived yesterday, so I have three lillies I hope to grow to cover 50% of the surface. I also just got three little water hyacinths (yes, I know they are invasive-do not discard in waterways) from the Norcal koi show. Also have one Taro-like plant and a big bunch of Society garlic (which LOVES being halfway in the pond).

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Ah so you want it deeper to keep them cooler in the Summer. Good idea! Plants will help too when they cover a lot of area and sail shade too. We unfortunately don't have that problem here in good old Western Washington.
So are ya a fan of the Red Sox or do you actually get to wear that ring

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Looks really nice and welcome. Looking forward to seeing your additions and changes along the way

Reaction score
Hi there!, WELCOME to the forum, you will enjoy all the time you get to spend here learning new things and we will learn things from you...its like a big brain pool in here haha.

Ask a Question