hello from SW Washington

Reaction score
Hi I am Beth, aka as Rushdoggie on the interwebz. I live just outside of Portland, OR in SW Washington. I have a 100 gallon stock tank pond that is mainly to let me dabble in water plants. My tank also has a few snails, 2 goldfish and some fathead minnows in it.

This is a project I have wanted to do for several years and I was finally able to set it up this spring and I have really enjoyed it all summer. Here is a recent photo:

10341867_10204461003311545_3032756563063872922_n.jpg

I have many hobbies including gardening, training my dogs for various dog sports, quilting, cooking and being lazy.

I hope to learn a lot here.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Welcome! I hate to tell you this, but there is one very serious problem with a [garden] pond that small......it won't be long before you'll want to go BIGGER ;). It's called "addicted to ponds!"

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Welcome Beth and I love your stock tank. Thats how I started and now I have a much larger in ground pond. :)

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Hi neighbor!
Beth
Your project turned out so very nice. What types of plants do you have in there?

Reaction score
Hi neighbor!

Your project turned out so very nice. What types of plants do you have in there?

Oh thanks!

I have 2 mini water lilies in pots (one I bought already growing in a pot that has soft yellow pink blooms, one was gifted to me as a rhizome and that one is just now making a bloom - I have no idea what color it will be).

I have several underwater aquarium plants (hard to do in WA because it seems everything is an illegal invasive species here) including grassy things and what looks like a peace lily but smaller) gifted from friends with planted tanks or bought at the Petsmart fish department.

I have some water hyacinth which I am not liking as it seems to turn yellow and brown then black very quickly. One reason I have for registering here is to find a floating alternative. Its also not bloomed once all summer. I know its a good pond cleaner and oxygenator but its not happy in my tank.

Then for marginal plants I have some mini cattails and a surprise that turned out to be potted ith the cattails that I have no idea what it is...it shoots out stunning tall branched stems with many pink flowers and has somewhat spade shaped leaves), a pickerel gifted as a rhizome that's been blooming well, creeping jenny (it has cascaded over the back of the tank which you can't see in the photo) and a chameleon plant (stunning! but I understand its awfully invasive so it will stay potted and in the pond).

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Very nice deck pond, love the look of it!

Welcome to our ponding group!
in_and_out_2.gif

Ask a Question