Hello - new member here

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 9b
Country
United States
Hello everyone,
I'm new to this forum, but not to water gardening.

I first started this hobby when we moved to Florida. We came here from upstate NY where we had 1100 feet of trout stream running through the property where we lived for 50 years. My wife said she missed the sound of the running water and so I built a pond in the entry area of our Eldorado style home.

We made many of the "beginner" mistakes, which, here in Florida, includes being invaded by Egrets and Bufo toads. We lost fish and plants and had algae and overgrowth. Our final battle was with racoons who ate many of our fish and put holes in the cheap liner that I started out with. Pumps?...been through some of them as well...I'm a "Little Giant" user now.

Today, our pond is safely surrounded by a screen enclosure, has an EPDM liner, an oversized, (1850 gmh), Little Giant Pump, and a Hazelock bio filter. We have 8 healthy adult Goldfish, (survivors from the aforementioned attacks), and, recently, 9 offspring, all doing well.

We love our pond and look forward, every day, to feeding our fish and checking the progress of all the youngsters.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome to the forum , you cant beat the sound of running water :happy:

Dave

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 9b
Country
United States
Sure...no great photography here, just my little Cannon pocket camera.

Attachments

• IMG_0563.JPG
    IMG_0563.JPG
    242.9 KB · Views: 207
  • IMG_0560.JPG
    IMG_0560.JPG
    244.7 KB · Views: 204
  • IMG_0532.JPG
    IMG_0532.JPG
    210.4 KB · Views: 190
  • IMG_0549.JPG
    IMG_0549.JPG
    146.3 KB · Views: 198
  • IMG_0552.JPG
    IMG_0552.JPG
    152.1 KB · Views: 192
  • IMG_0556.JPG
    IMG_0556.JPG
    265.8 KB · Views: 201
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 9b
Country
United States
I should explain the Buddah thing...that was inspired by Cypress Gardens, a park that we fell in love with, to the extent that we got season passes. It's now called "Lego Land" and hardly resembles the beautiful place that it formerly was. They had a pond and a huge Buddah that sat across the water...very peaceful place to stop in the gardens...so we did a mini re-creation of it at home. It's not a religious thing, but more superstitious...it seems like any time the pond has had a big mishap, Buddah was absent, so he now has a permanent perch and keeps things safe for the fish! Here is a pic from the old Cypress Gardens:

Attachments

• Buddah.JPG
    Buddah.JPG
    262.7 KB · Views: 202

Ask a Question