Hello!

Reaction score
I've inherited a smallish garden pond after moving in to a rented property. It was in a pretty rough state and we were surprsied to see it had two fish in it! This prompted me to clear it of the huge amount of sludge that had built up and add more oxygenating plants. I also added two other goldfish (but am still below the max suggested by the excellent local stockist). Can't do major work such as installing a pump or filter as the house isn't ours and so we can't really justify major costs but have added a solar fountain.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome to our group!

The work you have done will help the fish and pond. Do some water changes off and on, maybe get a test kit to keep track of how healthy the water is, ammonia etc. If you are on city water make sure you use a de-chlorinator, when you add or change out the water.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Welcome .If the pond is small a pump would not cost much more than the solar one .Plants use up oxygen at night .Even a small air pump would help and not be much more money .You can get the kind for fish tanks ,you would just have to protect it from getting wet

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I also added two other goldfish (but am still below the max suggested by the excellent local stockist).

I'll give you a tip: Don't stock it full.

Eventually baby fish will appear and you'll have more fish than you know what to do with.
I calculated room for about 9 fish in my last pond, so I bought 7 and probably would've eventually bought all 9. One day I noticed a bunch baby fish in the pond. Three of them survived. I expect to see even more babies this year, luckily I'm installing a larger pond. I figured breeding goldfish would take some kind of skill, but I was wrong. I did make me happy that the environment in the pond was good enough for breeding though (y)

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Well I find all my baby fish a home ,mostly through word of mouth .I do still have 1 from last year ,for some reason I kept thinking I gave them all away and more would appear .

Ask a Question