Help and advise needed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Please could you help me with a pond I have ,large pond and the water is always a mud colour ,I have in the past emptied it cleaned our the silt etc from the bottom and re filled however it still stays murky! I have a pump and filter system which I am currently cleaning the foam filter sheets daily as they are thick with sludge ,was wondering if a skimmer or pond vacuum cleaner would help ? We have goldfish in pond and some water lilies I would really like to make this an attractive feature as opposed to an embarresment ! Thank you so much for reading Mr F.

ashirley

Annie in SC
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Welcome. I feel your pain as I struggled with green water for years. Finally after 5 years my water is clear. What size pond do you have? How many fish? What do you use to clean your filters? There are very knowledgeable people here who will be more than willing to help you. Good luck.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks for the warm welcome and replies to answer some questions my pond is approx 4m circular about 1.2 m deep we have very approx 50 goldfish some water lilies and water iris we have a lot of trees by our pond so I expect a lot of leaves are at the bottom which is not helping my problem should we have boulders or rocks in it?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Sorry we have a plastic liner,appears to be lots of muck at bottom dead leaves etc but the fish are thriving !

morewater

President, Raccoon Haters International
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Vacuuming, followed by:

Muck Off.jpg
and plenty of aeration.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
If you start to remove it and a bunch of bubbles or bad smell comes up, do it real slowly so you do not harm your fish. Remove some, let the water sit remove more etc.

Reaction score
IMHO 50 fish are too many for any pond. Too much work and too much too look at. It reminds me of the pictures of the koi ponds with so many fish they are running each other over. I prefer the look of the top picture, to me it's more peaceful.
images

images

Attachments

• upload_2016-7-4_8-31-12.jpeg
    upload_2016-7-4_8-31-12.jpeg
    17.2 KB · Views: 237

Ask a Question