Help please - uv clarifier

Reaction score
Hi, been doing some research and realized my UV clarifier (tetrapond 9 watt) is WAY too small for my pond (figured out my pond is between 2200 and 2500 gallons).

I'm in the process of looking to buy another clarifier, however, the tubing I have set up with my pond is 1 3/4 flexible tubing. All of the clarifiers I'm looking at have either larger or smaller fittings. I'm at a loss about what to do. Are there adaptors that can be bought? Does anyone have any suggestions on which clarifier I should buy that would work with my flexible hose size?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Laura

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
for your size pond you'll be wanting to look for a UV that's in the 20-36 watt range. Most come with a adapter that fits four size hoses. You can always adapt up or down with PVC fittings if needed. On the adapter pieces that are on most units you would slide the flex line over the largest size nipple that you can, Mark it and cut off the smaller nipples that are not needed for your application. One thing I look at when looking at Uv lights is bulb replacement. there are bulbs that can be replaced for $12 and there are some that can cost $100+ for the same size bulb different manufacturer. This is where the biggest expense of the unit comes into play.

Reaction score
Thank you - it's like I want a decent brand, but I don't really know which are good, medium, and horrible. I'm reading too much info online and I'm getting totally confused. Some say to put the clarifier before the filter, some say after. Some say I need more than 40 watts, others differ. This really should not be so hard to figure out! Some say buy submersible, some say out of pond (which I prefer). Scared of make the wrong decision as they all seem to cost over $200. Thanks for your input

Laura

fishin4cars

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
How often do you think you need it? does your water clear soon after your using one? does it need to be run all the time or are you looking for one to clear the water then turn off? Any pics of the pond?

fishin4cars

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Do you still have a lot of plants in your pond and is it green water or clear?

Reaction score
I would use it all summer, I think. My bulb was done this year and as soon as it stopped working, my pond turned green in a day. I have a lot of submerged plants, as well as floating, which should help it stay clean. I don't have pics of the pond from this year yet - didn't see any sense in taking pics of a pond where you can hardly see the fish!! I'll upload a pic of the pond from last year.

Reaction score
I found a pic from April of this year when the water was pretty clear. The second is a pic of the full pond:

Attachments

• June 2010.jpg
    June 2010.jpg
    115.9 KB · Views: 224
  • pond - April 2011.jpg
    pond - April 2011.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 269
Reaction score
Thanks - I'm starting to get too many fish in the pond now - had a ton of babies last year, and hoping I don't get more this year. Don't have the heart to get rid of them!

fishin4cars

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
There becomes a point when too many make the others unhealthy. It looks like from the sounds of it you might want to start picking which are favorites which aren't. and possibly finding someplece for some to be relocated to. I know, I'm in the same situation. Hey, you can always add another pond and keep them all! :fish::lol:

Reaction score
I'd love to build another pond but my husband would freak! We've already expanded this one last year (or the year before, can't remember any more!) I doubt fish stores would take the koi, and I'm not sure I could move them to another natural pond in the area? Maybe that's even illegal!! Have to find someone else in the area with a koi pond.

koidaddy

karps house of koi
Reaction score
Did you mention if you have a bio filter? I was going to hook my uv back up and did some filter work instead. Water is almost crystal clear 4' down in two weeks.

fishin4cars

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
lauragal said:
I'd love to build another pond but my husband would freak! We've already expanded this one last year (or the year before, can't remember any more!) I doubt fish stores would take the koi, and I'm not sure I could move them to another natural pond in the area? Maybe that's even illegal!! Have to find someone else in the area with a koi pond.

Releasing them in a natural pond is not only illegal it can be be a enviromental nightmare.
better suggestions, try seeing if there is a local Koi club or water gardening club. If not craidlisy or local add in the newspaper might help. also ask the petsores and dealers, they may not take any but they may know someone that is looking for a large lot of fish for stocking a pond.

Ask a Question