Help with Koi

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Hi. I currently have 5 tiny Israeli Commets in my 23x18x3.5ft deep pond (approximate size). I am going to buy 4 10" Koi today. In order to prevent spawning and over-crowding is it suggested I only buy 4 males or is that unhealthy to the fish? I heard 3 males and 1 female can be detrimental to the female during mating and that sounds logical to me. Any advice will be appreciated

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I don't have the specific answer to your question, but I do know there are people who segregate their fish by sex to prevent mating. So I don't see how that could be a problem. One female with three males could indeed cause problems.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I have 1 male and 1 female over 10 years old named aggie and bert .I made a you tube video of them also (sissy's pond ) .The video's are not very good on there because it was a new camera and not used to making video's either .:)I have kept a few of there mixed breeds and they are over 2 ft long .They were about 4 or 5 inches at most when I got them .During spawning I lower the water level in the pond ..I would get 2 and 2 and that would even it out .You could remove some of the eggs to cut back on fish .They are friendly and love to eat from your hand if taught that when they are young .They are very social and love to be petted

Attachments

• pond pics 2014 007.JPG
    pond pics 2014 007.JPG
    166.6 KB · Views: 203
  • pond 2014 007.JPG
    pond 2014 007.JPG
    156.1 KB · Views: 228

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have read/heard that koi will cross breed with comets.

That is around a 10000 gallon pond, lots of water room for koi / goldfish. Nice size pond!
You will get lots of babies, even with just the comets. I started with around 15 or so fish ended up with a few hundred a few years later. They are real hard to catch. (no koi just goldfish)

ZmanArt007

Fish Keeper and Filmmaker
Reaction score
Sometimes Los Angeles, Sometimes Nebraska
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Koi and goldfish will both eat fry and eggs, so even if they spawn, not all the babies will survive. It will likely be quite a few years before overpopulation is really an issue, especially with a pond that big!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I thought I had all males....but I was wrong:) I'd estimate about 20 koi fry survived.....they are super hard to catch!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. I currently have 5 tiny Israeli Commets in my 23x18x3.5ft deep pond (approximate size). I am going to buy 4 10" Koi today. In order to prevent spawning and over-crowding is it suggested I only buy 4 males or is that unhealthy to the fish? I heard 3 males and 1 female can be detrimental to the female during mating and that sounds logical to me. Any advice will be appreciated
We simply dont allow ours to breed they have nothing in the pond to attach their eggs too instead we would match a pair up in our QT fasility which is 550 gallons Imperial.
It has its own filtration and UV-C add spawning mats and give them to for Giggy Gigg then after they have spawned net the out to go back to the pond , well thats the plan when we finally get it up and running after finishing the cosmetic side of the pond .

Dave

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Well yesterday I got my 4 Koi from the breeder/care taker. I never met the guy before and I have to say he was a complete gentleman. We spoke fish and ponds for awhile and he decided to give me 4 gorgeous Koi that I picked out for an insane price. Each Koi is approximately 15-16 inches long and thick! The only thing was he didnt know if they were male or female so time should tell what happens with the spawing. I have to say the fish love their new home. They started swimming around together immediately and even ate after about 2hrs. He told me since the stress of being taken from one pond to another could make them not want to eat for a few days to a week. Not these beauties! They ate after about 2hrs which made me feel good because it shows me they feel comfortable in their new home.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
The water got a little murky from the rain but in the process if clearing it up

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I get my fish from a koi farm that has all kinds of fish in NC and paid only about 4 or 5 dollars and even a dollar for what he calls ugly fish .Which by the way turned out to be butterfly and fancy tail .Just watch how much you feed them because if you put them straight in the pond your ammonia may spike because koi produce a LOT of waste .Watch for health problems or stress .

ZmanArt007

Fish Keeper and Filmmaker
Reaction score
Sometimes Los Angeles, Sometimes Nebraska
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
That yellow fish in the first picture is gorgeous! It's a butterfly koi and it looks like it has incomplete scales, like it's halfway between a doitsu and a regular(I'm not sure if that has a name, anyone?). Anyway I would love to have a koi like that. Good find! Can I ask how much you paid for these fish? You said it was a good deal.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Thank you very much...Like I said I didnt know the gentleman at all. I was referred to him. We started talking ponds and fish and I started picking out fish i liked. I picked the 4 I wanted and the guy said just give me $50 a fish. Those fish are easily a couple of hundred dollars each and I paid $200 for all 4! The man is a complete gentleman

Ask a Question