Help!

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Sorry for all the posts!
Still trying to learn, and I just want what is best for the fish. What can I do besides getting a bigger container- still trying to find one NO LUCK! I have tested the water amonia and it is fine. i want to help out as much without stressing the fish.

I know know they were being over fed. The biggest container we found was 150L- would that be best for them for now?

I also have another container set up for water changes aswell.

Is there anything else that I can do, or am I just worring to much?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
I think your setup is fine for the 2 fish you have, Alice.
If ammonia is good, just keep on doing the weekly water changes and feed every few days.
Make sure the tub isn't getting overheated by sitting in direct sunlight.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I think your setup is fine for the 2 fish you have, Alice.
If ammonia is good, just keep on doing the weekly water changes and feed every few days.
Make sure the tub isn't getting overheated by sitting in direct sunlight.
Okay thanks! We have a themometer for it aswell. I rinsed out the filter sponge today in pond water but a different bucket- it was getting full of the fish food. That made me realize I was over feeding. They are starting to come out more.
Do they like treats? I have been throwing in the odd ant, is that okay?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
It sounds like everything is going i the right direction, Alice.
The odd ant for a treat is ok.
What are the morning/noon/evening water temperatures?

One thing you could do is turn off the pump for about 20 minutes after you feed so the fish would have a chance to eat the food before it got sucked into the pump foam.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
It sounds like everything is going i the right direction, Alice.
The odd ant for a treat is ok.
What are the morning/noon/evening water temperatures?

One thing you could do is turn off the pump for about 20 minutes after you feed so the fish would have a chance to eat the food before it got sucked into the pump foam.
Ohh that would be a good idea!
It's around 60? I will take a photo tomorrow. It has been finally been warmer out

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Is there a way I can make a fishlog? I forget where I saw it. I feel like it would be helpful to keep track of water changes, amonia levels- feeding ect

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
I just use a lined pad of paper and pen for my own record keeping.
I just write down the date, what tests I did and any other maintenance I did.
Maybe someone else knows of an online version.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
I would recommend PH, KH, GH, Phosphate and Nitrate.
Those are the parameters that I regularly test for on my freshwater systems.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
Pet stores that sell fish will have them.
Stick with the API liquid test kits. There are other more expensive brands but I don't think they're necessary for those parameters.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Sorry for all the posts!
Still trying to learn, and I just want what is best for the fish. What can I do besides getting a bigger container- still trying to find one NO LUCK! I have tested the water amonia and it is fine. i want to help out as much without stressing the fish.

I know know they were being over fed. The biggest container we found was 150L- would that be best for them for now?

I also have another container set up for water changes aswell.

Is there anything else that I can do, or am I just worring to much?
If your wanting to upgrade Alice your going to need to buy something like a stock tank to hold your fish in along with a decent filter to turn the water over ,
I think @bettasngoldfish, @Mmathis have stockk tanks and I feel sure they will help by furnishing you with the relivent information on filters etc
If you want to learn listen to people like ourselves who are now 28 years into our hobby and still have an originall koi aged 28+ ish cant be sure exactly how old it was when we originally bought it .
The internet isnt really the right place to be looking for information because not all of it is factual so I place great stead on reading books on our hobby and the fish health side of things .
You can buy great books at knock down prices on ebay books Albris US Amazon US .
I recomend that you buy this book it will help you understand the ins and out of our hobby basically its the first book we ever bought and it is still used to this day as a fish bible battered and bruised as it is :LOL:

The Manual of Fish Health ISBN 0861013869. Dr Chris Andrews Adrian Exell, Dr Neville Carrington.

I hope this helps you Alice

Dave

Ask a Question