HELP?!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I need urgent help.....I mistakenly left my garden hose on for 10 hours last night, when I topped off my pond water. Today the goldfish are barely moving....It is also frosty outside. Is there anything I can do? Looks like a few have already died. :(

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
You can add dechorinator, but it is likely that any damage caused by this is already done and can't be undone. Give the fish time and observe closely. They may be OK and just reacting to the low temperature.If not then I am sorry. Ultimately survival rate will depend on actual exposure to the Chlorine in the water and the degree that the fish's gills have been burned.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
You can add dechorinator, but it is likely that any damage caused by this is already done and can't be undone. Give the fish time and observe closely. They may be OK and just reacting to the low temperature.If not then I am sorry. Ultimately survival rate will depend on actual exposure to the Chlorine in the water and the degree that the fish's gills have been burned.

Smaug

God makes perfect. I just dug the hole
Reaction score
Country
United States
Is that what it was,chlorine ? Do you have city water?

Smaug

God makes perfect. I just dug the hole
Reaction score
Country
United States
Oh heck. It's not too late to add dechlorinator. The stuff is poison for at least 24 hrs I think. Sorry about that bad luck but live and learn.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
So sad to hear about your fish :-(
I have done the same thing twice. Only once I lost some of my fish. I just stick to treating water in buckets then dumping in. Very boring and slow.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
sorry to hear about your fish, but hopefully most will be okay. Might be too late for this time, but my idea was to have a timer between my outside faucet and the hose, insuring that the only way I could top off my pond is through the timer. Sort of makes ponding memory proof. That is, unless the timer messes up. But so far, this method is working for me.

Michael

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Chlorine, though very toxic, will dissipate quite readily in a Garden Pond environment. More quickly during daytime hours especially on a sunny day. Sunlight is so effective in reducing chlorine that a bright sunny day can reduce the chlorination level of a pond by 90 percent in just two hours.You can add dechlor if it gives you peace of mind, but it is totally unnecessary at this point in time.

cas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Sunlight is so effective in reducing chlorine that a bright sunny day can reduce the chlorination level of a pond by 90 percent in just two hours.

I didn't know that. Thanks for the info.

Does temperature affect chlorine at all?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Yes...I normally do but l forgot last night......Thanks for the note!
For future reference to you@Kirsti Kelty you can buy dechlorination units that will remove the need to add any dechlorinator/dechloromines liquid to the water .
Though a UK website these units are sold in both the UK and the US:-

http://www.vyair.com/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=67

They remove dechlorinate/dechloromines prior to it entering the pond and will filter over 100,000 gallons Imperial/US
The new filters are easy to buy "online" and dont cost the earth .

Dave

Last edited:

Ask a Question