Heron Attack!!

waynefrcan

19 years ponding and hopefully 4 more!
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Ok not really yet I think. Saw it last night at 9pm flying away from sitting in the cherry tree 15 ft from the pond. It's actually a beautiful bird.

I counted the koi and all there. Not sure about goldfish count. I have 2 scarecrow sprinklers that seem to scare them off not sure.

No more fooling around, I can't let these fish that I raised for 5 yrs be caught by them.

Whats a good cheap camera that can be used without drilling holes etc.

My pond is 20 x 35 ft, I need a very light netting I can string over for nights and mornings and remove each day.

Thanks for help
Wayne

Last edited:

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I keep mine covered 24/7 even with being home I do not always spot them flying in. They come at any time, no schedule.

I use a wide weave fishing gill net have it hanging around 3 feet over the water. Keeps the heron from eating.

Good luck, once they spot the water they will come back all of the time, learning the lay of the land.

waynefrcan

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Thanks I did read about that from you before. Just wondering will they dive bomb the fish or they always walk in as we been told?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
They fish from a standing position, so they will approach the pond on foot. A camera won't do much good unless you monitor 24/7. It's smart to turn the lights off at night if you have them - otherwise your pond looks like a lighted sushi case!

Good luck!

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Mine have always walked in they never dove in like hawk, eagle etc. Usually takes them 30 minutes to walk in from where they land to the pond.
They don't have a easy landing area near the pond, too many plants.

waynefrcan

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
I have had attacks by some bird last 2 past years. But only 1 attack for the year as I put up the scarecrow s after. Lost one big koi 3 yrs ago. 3 small goldfish and a head wound on a large koi last year. Nothing this year I think.

I have pond water at 2.5 to 4 ft deep and built in lots of hiding spots for them. This might have prevented more deaths. However I know when they been attacked, they stay in the deep water for 2 days without eating. Don't see that from them this year.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 9b
Country
United States
When we lived up north we were able to keep the Geese off of our docks on the Hudson River by stringing monofilament fishing line from pole to pole. After moving to Florida, the mono wasn't enough. The skies are full of "white birds" and they are quick to learn of any flaws in your system. There is nothing worse than waking up to see a 4' Egret standing next to the pond swallowing the last of your prized fish! Home Depot sells something called "bird netting. It is a fine strand and woven 1/2" square, so it is nearly invisible...it's also inexpensive. This is probably your best bet considering your location. We had to totally screen in our pond as we were also being invaded by Bufo Toads and Cuban Frogs.

waynefrcan

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Thing is they small size. I'd have to tie like 5 or 8 packs to cover over 20x 35 water surface.

waynefrcan

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Big one, I actually bought some of this for my indoor tubs to prevent koi jumping. Strong as heck and light.

waynefrcan

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
They fish from a standing position, so they will approach the pond on foot. A camera won't do much good unless you monitor 24/7. It's smart to turn the lights off at night if you have them - otherwise your pond looks like a lighted sushi case!

Good luck!
Want the camera to see when and what is coming to the pond. Study the times and behaviors to plan my defense.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Enjoy!
I watched the heron for hours stalking the pond. It jumped over the small fence, pushed through the fishing line, tripped and fell into the pond, went through the fishing line over the pond, landed on the floating island, pushing the net down as it landed.

The alligator heads helped for a bit then they quit working.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
Enjoy!
I watched the heron for hours stalking the pond. It jumped over the small fence, pushed through the fishing line, tripped and fell into the pond, went through the fishing line over the pond, landed on the floating island, pushing the net down as it landed.

The alligator heads helped for a bit then they quit working.

Blow dart guns loaded with sedating material.... the heron finds itself in the zoo in the tiger cage..... We can all dream right?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 9b
Country
United States
It's a war...really! First you fight off the birds during the day and then comes the nighttime amphibious invasion. Once we were able to keep the birds out, the toads and frogs were still getting through gaps in the bird screening. This may not seem like a problem to many, but consider the noise right outside your window...all night long. The next morning you are scooping thousands of eggs out because the fish won't eat them. So then you get up and try to net the frogs (we just call them ALL "frogs"). The Bufo's are the worst because they are an invasive species, poisonous (they can kill a small dog, and we have two), plus they were so loud that we were getting comments from the neighbors. Some nights we would catch 8 or 9 of them. Finally, I bought the aluminum extrusions and screened in the courtyard making it frog-proof. I can see where this is a much more difficult problem with a pond in the open.

Screened in bird and frog proof:

Attachments

• IMG_0561.JPG
    IMG_0561.JPG
    213.7 KB · Views: 256

waynefrcan

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Just witnessed my scarecrow sprinklers in action. A large Raven came in to drink water, sprinklers activated, he flew off. 1 minute later he came back and then took off again and didn't return. They just hate the sudden water spray and noise. These for sure have helped save my fish.

Ask a Question