Heron net -- hanging & installation details

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Hey guys! We're getting decently close to the finish line on the new pond, and I need to figure out how a heron net figures in to things. Right now, we are using your standard, 1/2" pond net. The stakes to support the net are about 3 feet outside from the pond, hung on hooks a few feet up on the stake. The weight of the net makes it droop down in the middle to around 1 foot above water level.

This setup is all just temporary (these wooden stakes are FUGLY!). So, my question is, is the netting effective because it prevents the birds from walking up to the pond edge? Does it need to start a few feet out from the pond to work right?

The reason i'm asking is because I would like to keep a clear walking path right around the pond edge on top of our berm. Obviously, if the stakes come out from the pond a few feet in each direction, walking won't be possible without removing the net.

Im wondering if having stakes (maybe 2 feet high all around) hugging the outside edge of the rocks would be effective? This would totally solve all my problems, but if the bird is still able to maneuver it's beak and head through the 4 inch net with this setup, it obviously won't work. My other option is to do the 2 foot stakes on the outside of the rock edge, but continue using my 1/2" netting. I haven't had a problem with anything getting caught in the netting yet, but the dragonflies don't visit the main pond (they tend to stick to the un-netted, fishless middle pond.)

So, for those of you with nets, can you give me details on how you have it installed and whether it's working or not?

Thank you!

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
The goal should be to keep Herons and/or other predators away from the pond. In particular, if a heron is allowed access to even a netted pond, although the physical taking of fish is prevented, the Heron can still inflict considerable injury, and potential mortality, to fish with beak punctures. A net will not prevent this instinctive action of these birds.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Thanks! Addy has already given me quite a few tips, now i'm trying to figure out how to adapt them to work in my yard =D

Just wondering, if I use a small 1/2" weave netting suspended 2 or even 3 feet above water level, pulled taught, and comes to just outside my rock ledge, will Mr Heron be able to poke through it and hit water? I can even bring the net down on the sides and anchor them in to dirt so there's no access underneath. I just don't know how they hunt and if something like this could possibly work. My rock ledge is around 12-15" wide from dirt to water depending on where you measure.

My other option is to come out a few feet all around and go tall so I can walk under, but I think that would be obtrusive in my yard and i'd consider that only after exhausting other options.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
The goal should be to keep Herons and/or other predators away from the pond. In particular, if a heron is allowed access to even a netted pond, although the physical taking of fish is prevented, the Heron can still inflict considerable injury, and potential mortality, to fish with beak punctures. A net will not prevent this instinctive action of these birds.

I am curious on steps to prevent herons. Research tells me that methods include:
1) Rocks along the edge of the pond as herons prefer smoother surfaces, possibly an incline to approach the pond to make approaches more difficult
2) Reducing "beach like surfaces in the pond that allow heron to wade into the pond - instead have rather straight walls going down at least 20" or so
3) Plants along the perimeter of the pond to make access harder and plants in the pond to make it harder to heron to see into pond
4) Water turbulence via waterfall or fountains to make it harder to heron to see into pond

What are you suggesting?

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Living on he Gulf Coast of the U.S. has afforded many opportunities to observe the behavior of Great Blue Herons and other predatory birds not only around garden ponds, but also in their natural environs. Herons, especially Great Blues, are some of the most determined and patient of the lot. If there is a way for them to get to a tasty snack, they will find it.
They will not usually venture into water deeper than 20 inches. So sheer sides on a pond will deter them from entering the pond proper, but will not hinder them from standing at the pond's edge for an extended period of time completely motionless waiting for the one unwary fish to surface.
Low strung netting will help, but, as previously stated, will not prevent damage to the fish. Netting strung high enough for a human to walk under is not protective for it also provides access to the herons that are typically 3 feet in height.
Motion sensing devices, though not 100%, are the most effective.
Hands down, the absolute most effective deterrent is a large breed dog.

cas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I have my pond netted with 3/8" mesh and the parameter of the pond lined with fishing line.
The fishing line is about a foot from the edge of the pond to keep the heron back. I have seen heron standing on the patio and on the grass, but they don't get any closer to the pond. However, this year I lost my first fish in 11 years because I didn't put the fishing line over the falls because I thought it was to tight for the bird to get in. Wrong. Fishing line is back up and the net dropped a little closer to the water. The heron has been back but has left without any more of my fish.
Below is a diagram of the netting and fishing line and also a picture without my scribbles to show you that the net and fishing line do not obstruct the view too much.
placement of net.jpg

2015-6-10 aerial.JPG

Attachments

• 2015-6-10 aerial.JPG
    2015-6-10 aerial.JPG
    323.1 KB · Views: 286
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
We were visited by a GBH a few times years ago. I let our dogs out the last visit ( that I knew of) and it hasn't returned. We have three newfoundlands, a golden, a lab and a bernese mountain dog......our 4.5 lb poodle did not give chase :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
Living on he Gulf Coast of the U.S. has afforded many opportunities to observe the behavior of Great Blue Herons and other predatory birds not only around garden ponds, but also in their natural environs. Herons, especially Great Blues, are some of the most determined and patient of the lot. If there is a way for them to get to a tasty snack, they will find it.
They will not usually venture into water deeper than 20 inches. So sheer sides on a pond will deter them from entering the pond proper, but will not hinder them from standing at the pond's edge for an extended period of time completely motionless waiting for the one unwary fish to surface.
Low strung netting will help, but, as previously stated, will not prevent damage to the fish. Netting strung high enough for a human to walk under is not protective for it also provides access to the herons that are typically 3 feet in height.
Motion sensing devices, though not 100%, are the most effective.
Hands down, the absolute most effective deterrent is a large breed dog.

Thanks for the info. I am sure a number of people here will appreciate your post.

I also have an 80 pound Italian Mastiff! And she is still growing.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
My net is hung 2 feet to 3 feet above the water, draping down the sides almost right at the edge of the pond, it is loose draped ie not really attached to anything except the four corner posts and a few fiberglass rods in the bog. The heron came back a few years back walked around the pond, then went hunting out in the yard. They have not been back since. The netting prevents it from coiling its neck to do the strike. It has never tried to wiggle its head through the openings.

I have it loose draped, on fence posts so I can pull it off if I want to wander in the pond without it over my head. Also loose draped the heron can't land on it and fish. With it draping to the ground it can't just walk into the water or stand at the edge to fish.

They fly over every day, morning and night, right over the pond, just keep going. We have even observed them do a slight pause and look down as they fly over.
The first few years of the pond they landed almost daily to try and get a snack. I tried fishing line chicken wire, etc etc, the wide weave high hung net finally stopped them.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
I have my pond netted with 3/8" mesh and the parameter of the pond lined with fishing line.
The fishing line is about a foot from the edge of the pond to keep the heron back. I have seen heron standing on the patio and on the grass, but they don't get any closer to the pond. However, this year I lost my first fish in 11 years because I didn't put the fishing line over the falls because I thought it was to tight for the bird to get in. Wrong. Fishing line is back up and the net dropped a little closer to the water. The heron has been back but has left without any more of my fish.
Below is a diagram of the netting and fishing line and also a picture without my scribbles to show you that the net and fishing line do not obstruct the view too much.
View attachment 83159

View attachment 83160
Cas, this is SUPER HELPFUL!!! I never would have guessed in a bazillion years that your beautiful pond was netted! Thank you so much for taking the time to diagram your setup. With your net being staked into the ground, how far above the water surface does it end up? Would you say there's about a foot between your fishing line and the rock edge of your pond or is it less/more than that? Have you ever seen Mr Heron step over the line (pun intended, lol)?

My net is hung 2 feet to 3 feet above the water, draping down the sides almost right at the edge of the pond, it is loose draped ie not really attached to anything except the four corner posts and a few fiberglass rods in the bog. The heron came back a few years back walked around the pond, then went hunting out in the yard. They have not been back since. The netting prevents it from coiling its neck to do the strike. It has never tried to wiggle its head through the openings.

I have it loose draped, on fence posts so I can pull it off if I want to wander in the pond without it over my head. Also loose draped the heron can't land on it and fish. With it draping to the ground it can't just walk into the water or stand at the edge to fish.

They fly over every day, morning and night, right over the pond, just keep going. We have even observed them do a slight pause and look down as they fly over.
The first few years of the pond they landed almost daily to try and get a snack. I tried fishing line chicken wire, etc etc, the wide weave high hung net finally stopped them.

For some reason, I thought your net extended further away from the pond edge -- thank you for the the clarification that it's close to your edge! So, in your case, you aren't really keeping the heron from approaching the pond edge at all, you are using the net barrier to prevent it from being able to strike. It sounds like your posts are in the 2-3 foot range, then? On the sides perpendicular to the bog, you only have 2 posts, right? In between those two, how high does the net come from the ground? With my temporary setup, I'm finding that with posts about 15 apart causes the net to drape really close to the water in the middle of the span. Was toying with doing 3 posts on the long sides (2 corners and one in the middle) but I don't want to give Mr Heron any additional perch opportunities if it could be avoided.

How I wish I could go the route of canine protector! Then i'd have chickens and beautiful plants that don't smell like deer repellant, lol! Unfortunately, our dogs are pretty useless for anything other than barking at everything and nothing!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
This is the best shot of the rope, right at the stream water fall. No draping here as it is on the uphill rock slope, most of the places it touches the rock half way up the rock slope. The heron can't sneak under it.
rope.JPG
My posts are around 27 feet apart, on the long side of the pond. Short end around 15-20 foot apart. The bog I put some fiberglass rods in that are maybe 5-6 feet apart, mainly because the net does not drape down a lot in the bog, and was a little short so the rods keep it right at the edge of the pond.

I ran a rope through the edge of the netting, the rope allows me to pull it tight, keep it from sagging. The rope is around two feet in from the edge, that allows it to drape down. I used to use deer fencing, but too many critters got caught in it. After finding 2 small birds drowned in the pond I got rid of small netting and went to the wide weave.

cas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
With your net being staked into the ground, how far above the water surface does it end up?
One side of my pond is higher than the other. So the net is about 6" from the water on the low side and about 12" from the water on the high side.
Would you say there's about a foot between your fishing line and the rock edge of your pond or is it less/more than that? Have you ever seen Mr Heron step over the line
There is about 12" from the fishing line to the edge of the water. Sometimes the rock goes all the way to the fishing line, but the distance from the water stays about 12".
I have seen the heron standing next to the fishing line but never try to cross over it. I don't know if he sees it or if he runs into it. This year I decided I didn't need to put the fishing line over the falls because there wasn't much room between the net and the falls. Ha. That was my mistake. That big bird was able to maneuver down my water fall between the rocks and net and get his head under the net to strike at my fish.
The bird netting I get at Lowes isn't as sturdy as the kind Addy uses. The heron could easily strike through the net and cut it with his bill. But I believe the fishing line keeps him from the edge to try to strike, and the net over the pond keeps him from flying into the pond. My theory any way. So far it has worked for me. (fingers crossed) I have seen the heron on the roofs and trees just staring at the pond. I don't know if he sees the net or what.
2015-6-23 blue heron (1).JPG

cas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I have actually saved pictures of addy's set up. I think if my pond was larger like addy's I might try her way.

cas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I hope she doesn't mind, but here is a picture of j.w's pond and her netting.

GPF, jw - net idea.jpeg

Ask a Question