Hi all!

Reaction score
Newbie here. Have had a pond for years , but I am a slow learner I guess. Trial and error are my middle names. Finally seem to have a pond setup that works. Will need to expand in the spring due to a population explosion. About 18 baby shubunkins suddenly appeared this fall. My water is well water and seems to be perfect for the fish. Four frogs at last count.
I do have a question if someone can help. Have read that fall cleanout should remove any leaves and vegetable matter from bottom of pond. Do my frogs not need that to hibernate??? I fear I will scoop out the frogs with the leaves. any help would be appreciated....Kevin.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
welcome_1.gif

I have tons of frogs, I always scoop out the leaves that fall in and any rotting plant matter on the bottom of the pond. The frogs seem to know what to do to survive.

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply! I will reluctantly do this. I found a couple dead frogs last spring and am hesitant still. del Ray Beach sounds warm. Merry Christmas , Happy Holidays , or whatever might apply! Kev.

morewater

President, Raccoon Haters International
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Like Addy says, get rid of the sunken debris as it will decay over the winter and deplete the oxygen. At the very least, get a heater to keep a hole in the ice for gas exchange.

You paid for the fish, frogs come and go. Worry about the fish, not the frogs.

Reaction score
Like Addy says, get rid of the sunken debris as it will decay over the winter and deplete the oxygen. At the very least, get a heater to keep a hole in the ice for gas exchange.

You paid for the fish, frogs come and go. Worry about the fish, not the frogs.
Thanks for the reply......was just outside and removed "some" of the debris. Frogs were flying all over. Have two heaters in the water now. I mistakenly thought my old one had quit and put another in. The small fish gather inside the coils on both. I think I have become more attached to the frogs than the fish.....LOL. My big fish are the size of my hand and the smaller ones vary .Thanks for the advice everyone. Kev.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Kevin
Yep scoop out the gunk. Addy is hiding out in Florida right now but her pond is in Maryland so pretty close to where you are and her frogs like she said find a way to survive nicely. Mine do too but I don't have as many as she does for sure

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Newbie here. Have had a pond for years , but I am a slow learner I guess. Trial and error are my middle names. Finally seem to have a pond setup that works. Will need to expand in the spring due to a population explosion. About 18 baby shubunkins suddenly appeared this fall. My water is well water and seems to be perfect for the fish. Four frogs at last count.
I do have a question if someone can help. Have read that fall cleanout should remove any leaves and vegetable matter from bottom of pond. Do my frogs not need that to hibernate??? I fear I will scoop out the frogs with the leaves. any help would be appreciated....Kevin.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Hi, and welcome to the never ending hobby.

As long as you get most of the leaves up from the bottom the frogs should still be happy. The problem comes if you leave too much and upset the natural balance of the pond.

Just about to add water to #9 today. I'm trying out a new 15x20,14 mill PV liner; says its good for 20 years, we'll see.

Reaction score
I agree with the others saying to remove most if the debris from the pond.
Side questions...
Do you keep a hole open in the ice all Winter?
If not, this could have caused the death of the frogs. Maybe...
Are the heaters floating or submerged?
Either way, I see almost no point in heating a pond that isn't covered, unless you enjoy throwing money away.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, and welcome to the never ending hobby.

As long as you get most of the leaves up from the bottom the frogs should still be happy. The problem comes if you leave too much and upset the natural balance of the pond.

Just about to add water to #9 today. I'm trying out a new 15x20,14 mill PV liner; says its good for 20 years, we'll see.
Steve's right between us weve done alot of years in the hobby what with our 27- 8 years and Steve's years it mounts up to be over 49 years , once in theres no way out :LOL:

Dave

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Snowy

Latest Threads