Hi - I'm David S and I have two ponds linked by a waterfall. Popular with herons!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I created my ponds to give me an interest when I gave up playing regular, active sport. Little did I know I would have a new sport - protecting my fish from herons which virtually depopulated the ponds until I put netting over one of them and move all the fish into that one. But I didn't bargain on frogs treating the netting as a trampoline.
You may find my film "Fred the Trampolining Frog" amusing!
to see it!
In the meantime, if anyone has any better ideas for deterring herons I'd love to hear from them.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome to our group!

Neat video.

I ended up putting up a wide weave (4 inch holes) gill net around 3 foot over the pond draping down to stop the herons. that Way the frogs, little birds etc did not get stuck

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Ha! Too funny!

Sadly it seems a net is the only sure deterrent to the heron. Once they find you, they don't give up until your fish are all gone. We just keep our fingers crossed that we aren't spotted.

Welcome! Would love to see more of your ponds!

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hello and welcome to our group! We have other members here from the UK. Would love to see pictures of your pond.

Love the video and thanks for sharing! [ @Mucky_Waters needs to see this ] Nets are the best way known to keep your fish safe.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Welcome and what a clever video!! I can't believe how many frogs you have....they must be quite content in your pond :)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
It's been a strange year. Currently I have tiny, perfectly formed frogs in the pond, but also tadpoles which are larger than the little frogs. Don't remember seeing this happen before.
Thanks everyone for your welcome - and comments about Fred the Frog!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Dave where in the UK to you hail from mate , loved the video but noticed that Mr her could still if he wants spear the fish through your net.
We bought a net from Norfine nets they will make any net to your design we had one made with bungee straps both across the middle and around so that no preditors can get through it .
The net was 6mm hex mesh supprisingly you can see your fish through this and fred wpouldnt be in danger of being stuck plus he can bungee at the same time :LOL: heres the link to their site :-

http://www.norfinenets.co.uk/view-product.php?index=338935410

Trust me on this Dave, when I say the net lasted blasted by the elements for six years :D

Dave

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm in Cheshire and although I only bought my net from the local shop it too has lasted a good six years. Although I agree that a heron could, in theory, spear fish through the netting, it doesn't seem to happen. Famous last words I suppose!
Fred, too, seems to be surviving. In fact, judging from the number of tadpoles I have had this summer, he seems to really be enjoying himself!

Anyone who hasn't seen Fred yet can do so at

Ask a Question