Hiding the liner

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
I'm in the midst of building my first pond. It's not yet finished and I seem to change my mind about things every 10 minutes.

Whilst I'm really happy with the pond so far, I don't think I've done the edging the way I wanted to. Any tips on how to hide the liner more effectively?

I have thought about taking the edges up and just tucking in so there's just a thin bit showing.

I've also thought about leaving it as us and building up the soil on top from the surrounding flower beds.

Open to suggestions...

Attachments

• P1000557.JPG
    P1000557.JPG
    237.1 KB · Views: 2,940

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
You can make a little shelf in the dirt around the top edge and then put rocks on the shelf in the water and then rocks above them on the top edge. You will never see the edge as long as the water covers part of the lower rocks on the bottom ledge.
Something like this and you can make the ledge as low as you like depending on the rocks you can find.

IMG_3800.JPG

IMG_6050.JPG

IMG_6171.JPG

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Do you have pics? I just ordered the product for my small pond and Im hoping for a transformation. Even so, my pond is not totally level and I am debating on whether I should pull it up and dig it down an extra inch (yes, Im kinda anal retentative! Lol) or keep it a bit high, wrap in that liner, then work on growing moss on it. Decisions decisions! Uggh!

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    259.1 KB · Views: 1,282
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
I have used it on hard to cover edges of my pond. The edge in the water cut it uneven, a straight edge looks wrong. Over time it will age , algae will grow on some of it.

I was wondering about that. The website showed a moss covered liner, which I like very much. Im kinda weird about moss...I love to cultivate it on my rocks and soil if possible.

Reaction score
Country
United States
A rain chain is all...it was supposed to slow the torrents of water but the rain goes right over it, lol.

I was just reading about the rain chains and it seems they are made from copper (never heard of them before but they seem interesting) Not sure if you have fish in your pond or if you planned to add them but copper is poisonous to fish.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Ugghh...I went out and gave mine a once over and I dont think they are real copper but painted metal. I will keep an eye on it in case it chips or flakes. That prolly would not be healthy for the fish. Thanks for letting me know though. i had no idea copper was bad for fish.

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
With the price of copper nowadays, most rain chains are made out of cheaper materials (tin?) and then painted.
John

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
yep have one myself and it is made of cheap tin .The copper ones i have seen but they are over 60 dollars and the one i have cost me a dollar at the flea market ;):)

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
I've also seen them in cast iron, painted black. Rather heavy, but at least they don't blow around much in the wind! ;)
John

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
This is how I have my liner hidden. Similar to JWs, only the edge of mine sticks straight up rather than laying flat. You can either back fill with dirt and plant plants right up to the edge or sandwich the lip between another rock. Rock on hte inside and rock on the outside. Mine is a combination of both.
liner edge.jpg

Ask a Question