Hoses

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
Canada
I would be grateful for some help deciding what size hose to use. The pump is 2000 gph. This is a plan:

P1020519.jpg

The bog is only 32" wide, so I am thinking one piece of piping is enough (perhaps 1 1/2"?). For the stream to pond waterfall, about 5" wide would be fine. I prefer gentle to robust here.

Also, I'm uncertain about adaptors. I have the Laguna Y already. How do I get from the barb adaptor on the Y to the rigid PVC? I have one adaptor here but it is threaded.

I know I want a ball valve enroute to the bog and another on the hose going to the pond. Actually, I should ask - with a ball valve can you vary how open it is to modulate the flow, I mean it's not just all or nothing, is it? Is there an adaptor that goes from kink-free to rigid PVC?

Thank you for any help.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Why are you using different types of piping? What is the outflow size on the pump? Go one size larger!! Ball valves can be set to full-open, full-closed, and anywhere in between.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
Is there any other way you could run the supply line to the bog?
I think having such sharp corners is really going to reduce your pump outflow.
If you could only use spa flex hose, that would be best.
I just ordered some 2" flex hose from PetsandPonds.com for my own pond. They have a good price.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Is there any other way you could run the supply line to the bog?
I think having such sharp corners is really going to reduce your pump outflow.
If you could only use spa flex hose, that would be best.
I just ordered some 2" flex hose from PetsandPonds.com for my own pond. They have a good price.

Absolutely makes sense to use Flex PVC instead of two different types of piping. Flex PVC gives you the flexibility of corrugated hose combined with the strength and durability of regular PVC.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
Canada
Meyer, the output on the pump can be from 3/4" up to 1 1/2". So I was thinking 1 1/2". I'm going to use the rigid PVC for the bog (with slits in the bottom), but flexible elsewhere because it is, well, flexible. :) I spent six hours today sorting through contradictory information about kink-free vs. PVC flex hose. I learned:

• many stores that sell pond supplies don't know what kind of hose they are selling
  • Apparently 95% of them are selling kink-free
  • Most people on the forum seem to prefer PVC flex
  • Kink-free comes in standard and metric (the latter for Oase pumps) sizes, but sellers don't necessarily know this
  • although Laguna customer service said that their pumps are meant to be used with PVC, not kink-free, apparently PVC flex doesn't connect with barb adapters (according to Pets and Ponds)
  • 1 1/2" PVC flex costs $3.95 a foot at a local hot tub dealer (thanks, Mitch for the idea elsewhere to look at such places, and yes, petsandponds has a relatively good price).
  • It's easier to plumb a house than a pond.
What you are saying makes sense, Mitch. I was following the example of Falconut. I could use a bulkhead, and go straight to the slotted PVC, but am nervous about the potential for leaks. With a small bog like this (60"x32"), I don't think either kink-free or PVC flex would be flexible enough to be practicable, do you?

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Flex PVC can be used in the 'bog'. Just drill holes instead of cutting slits and the 'up over and down' configuration can be eliminated by use of a bulkhead fitting.
If Laguna pumps are meant to be plumbed with PVC, Flex PVC will work just as well.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
You can also use an adapter to put a male barbed fitting on the end of the flex PVC.
You would need a 1-1/2" female slip fitting to threaded adapter, then use a male threaded to male barb fitting.

The only thing is that you would still need a short piece of that kink free hose to span from the barbed end of the Laguna to the male barb end on the flex PVC.

You know your layout best. Just a suggestion.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
Canada
Well, Mitch, I know the layout, just not what I should be laying out! The suggestions of experienced ponders such as yourself are greatly appreciated.

Meyer, it does seem to make sense to use all the same material, if that is possible. I also would be happier going straight through for the bog, rather than up and over with all the angles. Would just have to put my trust in the bulkhead! But I guess I could do that. Didn't know I could drill holes in flex PVC.

So back to the size of the hose, should I be using 1 1/2" throughout? For the stream as well?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
1 1/2" throughout would be fine, I think.
What is the bog wall made out of? I'm trying to think how a bulkhead would work.
Flex PVC could be drilled, but you would need to use a forstner bit to make big enough holes. the wire reinforcing that the flex hose has is plastic.
I haven't used the kink free hose before, because the flex PVC is as tough as nails and pretty much indestructible.
Many people here use the kink free hose and do just fine. It depends on your budget and pond configuration.

Meyer's business is pond construction, so he is certainly one who's opinion should be listened to.
I've only been ponding for 3 years but have a lot of experience with PVC plumbing after having aquariums for 30 years.

Ask a Question