House andPond security upgrade (the fight back begins)......

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Val and I have been paraniod for long enough and aim to add an indoor /outdoor security system to the home so that we are covered propperly and if our Junkie burgular comes back again as he's done to other homes "he's got bang to rights" as are any potential koi thieves****
He is due out about now after serving half his 3 year sentance and I admit this has us very worried so weve discussed it and said why should we be prisoner's in our own home through that sad lowlife, when we can do somehing about it weve reserched it through our IT man Jon and decided on a plan of action
As such weve just upgraded and bought a modern system made by Swann and is an advanced security system which we can add other cameras too giving us four cameras instead of the one on the pond that we do have at this present time .
Its an advanced system D1 with real time Full screen Hi Resolution recording.
650TVL Cyrstal clear Resolution security cameras.
HDM1 Connect to HDTV LCD anbnd Plasma TV's
DIY easy to install
500GB 95 days continuous recording up to 500 GB HDD
Durable Casing with IP67 weather proof rating cameras
Powerful day and night vision up to 82 ft or 25 metres
Easily backed up incident video to USB SATA or Network
Linked to see your world via smart phone Tablet etc in minutes
With a Swann Promise of Lifetime Support.........
***** for the third year running weve heard of koi being stolen in Plymouth. 2012/13/14
"We see it this way", the problem everyone has is you cant really secure a back garden and this is what they are exploiting , they are also using Google Earth to pin point peoples ponds .
Weve just heard of another theft of koi from an area of Plymouth Called Pennycomequick and the sad thing is I think I know who's pond it is because the only pond I know of in that area belongs to a postman we know from our sister society in Plymouth the Plymouth Aquarist and Pond Keepers Society .

Dave

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have had our system running for a few years now, love it! Mainly use it to watch the wildlife, but if someone sneaks in we will have a recording.

Reaction score
Having worked in retail security for the last 14 years I can assure you, cameras only scare off amateur thieves and they do nothing to increase your safety. In fact, they can decrease your safety if you actually happen to see something and then decide to confront the person. Shoot, I have been in 2 fights in just the last month, work related. And yes, I won lol. One piece of advice is to set up your camera in such a way that you will be most likely to capture a good view of the person's face. Sounds like a nice setup Dave. Enjoy, and have the local police number on speed dial :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
You should feel a little safer now ........ Dave
It seems to us DrCase that more is thought of the burgular than of the victims of hi crimes he gets looked after 24/7 in prison is fed and watered and given a chance to rid himself of his addiction , the problem is drugs are readily available in prison so h comes out still addicted .
We on the other hand even though it was a 10" window that we left open that he gained entry through are out of pocket and still paying for the laptop he stole and because it wasnt a violent crime we cannot recoup this money through a government sceme they have in the UK.
I had problems many years ago through Post traumatic stress with the bottle yet I never stooped so low as to steal and I got myslf sorted with Vals unstinting support of me and the disapline I needed to keep koi helped cement that good thinking into place .
Then along comes Mr Dalgleash who though he never acttually laid a hand on any of us blew through the cold anger I felt all the stops on my bad childhood memories which I had to have re-buried back in my subconcious by my Clinical Phycologist .
I dont want a repeat of that and we need to feel safe as well as keeping the koi safe, to date not one koi theft has been solved here in Plymouth in the last 3 years and quite a few koi have gone missing
So the only way to protect ourselves it seems is to put the home and the koi under 24/7 365 days a year security camera watch :happy:

Dave

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Thankully the average thief according to the Police is in flight mode at the slightest noise from the residents of the home he is in . it is only rarely that there is a confrontation and believe you me even aged 57 and disabled I am capable of violence if needs be "not that Iever want to my friend as what I am capable of scares the hell out of me I have a very surpressed side to me that I hate to let loose, thanx to my drunken step father :mad:":( ,
An Englishmans home is his castle and we now have a right to defend ourselves "Using resonable force :LOL: (thats a grey area);)
Thanx Diesilplower my friend for the sound advice that is why one is going into the kitchen, one will eventually cover our passageway there will be one in our front room and the last will be replacing the old system on the koi pond all will euther face a window or door apart from the two outside :cool:
One of my jobs in the RN was QM which saw us running security on the ships I served on and the Naval bases too so I know to check windows and doors etc which I have been doing since the break in with due dilligence .

Dave

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I sleep with a loaded gun, have for years. But always check windows and doors at night.

Reaction score
I was in Mattawan Michigan (small town) yesterday and thought of you Dave. There is a huge pond as a small town feature with a bridge. We where Geocaching on the bridge and noticed all these color fish heading toward us. Around a 100, very colorful and large koi. After the shock of discovering such a cool thing I thought of the koi thieves. Must not be an issue here. I'll try to post the video of this amazing sight.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Good idea Dave and hope he doesn't come around but if he does get a good photo of him and call the cops even tho they don't do much about these incidents usually. Just do it so you have a record of it to fall back on!
Our burglar at the last house we lived in was confronted in our bedroom by our son who was living in a trailer in back of our house. He heard the door being broken down out front and came running around to see what was going on. The thief sat on our bed going through things of ours throwing them in our pillow case. He jumped off the bed and grabbed our vcr and the stuffed pillow case and ran towards the door pushing our son aside. Our son was able to write down the license plate # of his getaway truck and call the police. We were away camping at the time and were called to come home. The police did a little checking and told us the guy no longer lived in our area and they did nothing to find him. We were able to get his name from the police. They got his name from the license plate tracking. All this said the police were wrong. I did some investigating on his name up in the courthouse and found that he had a long rap sheet and once lived at his mothers house not far from us so I walked down there one day and lo and behold there his truck sat out in front of his mom's house. I tracked him for days watching where he went and making notes and calling the police who said they would send him a letter asking him to come talk to them...........what the heck? They never did anything. I continued to follow him and one day I walked by when he was driving away from his mom's house and he waved at me. He did not know who I was so I waved back. I had noted all this in a notebook w/ dates etc. One day the cops called me cuz they knew I was tracking him all the time. They just told me to be careful. They wanted to know if on a certain day I had seen him in his truck. I checked my notes and told them yes and that he had even waved at me. They said a burglary had been done at another house in the area and that the guys truck had been seen and someone wrote the plate # down. They contacted Mr burglar but he told them he didn't own that truck anymore. Liar he was! They wanted to know if I would testify that he was driving that truck that day. I said of course I would. So they confront him w/ this info on someone (me) seeing him that day driving his truck. He confessed to that burglary and our burglary and went to prison for 5 years. He did many other burglaries in the area too they found out. He was a heroin addict and had a really long rap sheet. When he got out of prison his wages from a job he got were partly sent to his victims so we did get some of our money back from things he stole. But long story short you have to take matters into your own hands sometimes to get results. Needless to say I was quite pleased w/ the results of it all even tho I had to do it all by myself.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
JW the private investigator! way to go

We had a renter die, his family came down, from maryland, wiped out the place. The police took a report that was the extent of it. Wrote it off our taxes.

Reaction score
I was in Mattawan Michigan (small town) yesterday and thought of you Dave. There is a huge pond as a small town feature with a bridge. We where Geocaching on the bridge and noticed all these color fish heading toward us. Around a 100, very colorful and large koi. After the shock of discovering such a cool thing I thought of the koi thieves. Must not be an issue here. I'll try to post the video of this amazing sight.
Do you live near there?

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Yep cops don't have time for that sort of thing. Insurance covered some of what we lost and the rest the guy was paying back and then it just stopped. He prolly went back to jail again.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
I sleep with a loaded gun, have for years. But always check windows and doors at night.
Whoo addy " do you feel lucky punk ", :LOL::happy: way to go girl sadly we cant hold guns in the UK unless we have a licence and they are keptin a locked and secure gun cabibet its not worth the hassle besides there have been one too many nut cases in the UK that have shot up a town one even murdering little children at a school in Scotland because he had been fingered as a Perv
The other two shot up the towns they lived in with high powered rifles because of some misguided slights against them that sent them over the top.
Good idea Dave and hope he doesn't come around but if he does get a good photo of him and call the cops even tho they don't do much about these incidents usually. Just do it so you have a record of it to fall back on!
Our burglar at the last house we lived in was confronted in our bedroom by our son who was living in a trailer in back of our house. He heard the door being broken down out front and came running around to see what was going on. The thief sat on our bed going through things of ours throwing them in our pillow case. He jumped off the bed and grabbed our vcr and the stuffed pillow case and ran towards the door pushing our son aside. Our son was able to write down the license plate # of his getaway truck and call the police. We were away camping at the time and were called to come home. The police did a little checking and told us the guy no longer lived in our area and they did nothing to find him. We were able to get his name from the police. They got his name from the license plate tracking. All this said the police were wrong. I did some investigating on his name up in the courthouse and found that he had a long rap sheet and once lived at his mothers house not far from us so I walked down there one day and lo and behold there his truck sat out in front of his mom's house. I tracked him for days watching where he went and making notes and calling the police who said they would send him a letter asking him to come talk to them...........what the heck? They never did anything. I continued to follow him and one day I walked by when he was driving away from his mom's house and he waved at me. He did not know who I was so I waved back. I had noted all this in a notebook w/ dates etc. One day the cops called me cuz they knew I was tracking him all the time. They just told me to be careful. They wanted to know if on a certain day I had seen him in his truck. I checked my notes and told them yes and that he had even waved at me. They said a burglary had been done at another house in the area and that the guys truck had been seen and someone wrote the plate # down. They contacted Mr burglar but he told them he didn't own that truck anymore. Liar he was! They wanted to know if I would testify that he was driving that truck that day. I said of course I would. So they confront him w/ this info on someone (me) seeing him that day driving his truck. He confessed to that burglary and our burglary and went to prison for 5 years. He did many other burglaries in the area too they found out. He was a heroin addict and had a really long rap sheet. When he got out of prison his wages from a job he got were partly sent to his victims so we did get some of our money back from things he stole. But long story short you have to take matters into your own hands sometimes to get results. Needless to say I was quite pleased w/ the results of it all even tho I had to do it all by myself.
j.w. way to go girl or should we call you Miss Marple :LOL: , at least in the US they give them half tidy prison sentences the more times they are behind bars the larger the sentence if they keep on doing it .:cool:

Dave

Ask a Question