How can I keep my small pond from freezing in the winter?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I'm in zone 7a in northern NJ. As you can see in the pic, I have 2 small tub style ponds next to each other. The one on the left is about 4 feet wide and 2 feet deep. The one on the right, is a circular pond and only like 2 feet wide and 2 feet deep. I use a 90 GPH pump in the left pond and a hose is attached to the pump to create a waterfall to flow on my right pond. The hose is hidden by the hostas in the back. Then the waterfall falls into the left pond. So theres a cycle there.
Anyway, every year my pond freezes. How can I keep it from not freezing in the winter? I have 4 comets in the left pond and yes I know I can bring them inside. Also since the ponds are located right in front of the foundation and is in my backyard, it gets really no sunlight at all.
MbIRoac.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Are you sure they freeze to the bottom? You could try building a small greenhouse structure over them to hold heat, but without running a heater of some type, I don't know how successful that would be - especially since you say the area gets little sunlight.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I lived in NJ most of my life and can tell by your siding that is the shady side of the house .You may not be able to keep it open .I don't think even a pond breather would work and it is to small for a pond heater .You may have no choice but to move your fish indoors .Maybe next year you can build a bigger pond so you don't have this problem .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Ok then how about I melt the ice everytime the pond freezes by pouring hot water over it? That way I don't need a heater or anything right

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
You're gonna need a tank heater and you're gonna need to keep the pump running.

The pump will keep the water open in the waterfall spot even if it snows over it. Keep it running. The tank heater will keep the water under the ice liquid.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Well I heard that pumps shouldn't be in ponds where freezing temperature occurs and my area gets freezing temperatures in winter. Won't that damage the pump? Its a 90 GPH which is not that strong

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
Well I heard that pumps shouldn't be in ponds where freezing temperature occurs and my area gets freezing temperatures in winter. Won't that damage the pump? Its a 90 GPH which is not that strong

My pumps had no problem and we are in the same temperature zones and my pond was 1.5 feet deep last year. My pumps were 500 gph to a waterfall (no filter on that pump). My other pump went from a filter under water to a shower above water and it also kept the water open in its area. Both pumps kept their zones open but the aerators did not keep it open during 2 day snow storm and the tank heater didnt alway succeed in keeping the area above it open even though the area under it was clearly kept above freezing and liquid.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Hmm alright.. how wide is your pond? Also how about a floating de icer, will that work

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
Here are some pictures.

Attachments

• IMG_5941.JPG
    IMG_5941.JPG
    290 KB · Views: 331
  • IMG_5960.JPG
    IMG_5960.JPG
    185.6 KB · Views: 290
  • IMG_5963.JPG
    IMG_5963.JPG
    155.9 KB · Views: 300
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
Hmm alright.. how wide is your pond? Also how about a floating de icer, will that work

I dont know. I used the tank heater with a thermo cube so it doesnt stay working when the temperature is normal (although it had its own thermal control in it).

The problem with de-icers is that it assumes the rest of the pond (underneath the ice) will not freeze solid. If you suspect that it will... then you need the heater that will keep it above freezing point and not the de-icer.

My pond was 2-3' wide, 10-12' long and 1-1.5' feet deep

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
Oh and looking back at the pond size you have... you got an effectively 250 gallons... so you do need a better pump.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Actually.. instead of having to waste so many electricity bills and everything I think I will just keep pouring boiling water to the pond every morning in the winter..

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
Actually.. instead of having to waste so many electricity bills and everything I think I will just keep pouring boiling water to the pond every morning in the winter..

The heater didn't cost me much, it stopped working when the temperature rose over 40F.

peter hillman

Let me think for minute....
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
3-5
Country
United States
Last winter I kept my pond from freezing over with this aquarium heater. I only ran it when the temps dropped below mid 20's though. It worked well, had ice but it never froze over. 200w
s-l1600.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):

Really? I think you'll find that loses it's appeal very quickly. Not to mention the fact it could take A LOT of boiling water if your pond freezes over completely. And just because you melt it in the morning doesn't mean it won't freeze over again during the day. A de-icer might help keep a hole open, but your pond volume is so small that it may just freeze solid anyway.

Ask a Question