How deep for 5"-7" Goldfish(Ryukin and Shubunkin)

Reaction score
My friend has 4 or 5 large goldfish and she's moving and can't take them. They all have names and are well loved, so she wants a good home for them. They are mine if I set up the right pond for them.

How wide, how deep for these guys?

2 are 5" ryukins and the others are 7" Shubunkins. Expensive fish I'm sure. About a year old and just gorgeous. so healthy and such.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Royal, I was advised to have at least 3 feet of depth if your fish will be outside year-round. They need to be able to go deep to avoid the freezing during winter and the heat during summer [depending on where you live, of course], and to be able to avoid predators. I just re-read your intro, and weren't you planning for a 15" depth and around 50 gals? Not an expert -- I'm a newbie, too -- but that's not very deep and not really enough water for the fish you are inheriting.

So you have an aviary? Cool! I love birds and want to build a "bird" feature into my waterfall. Is it an enclosed area and how big is it? Post pictures if you haven't already.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
My goldfish shubunkin pond is 5 foot deep, keeps them cool in the summer warm in the winter, well un frozen lol, would not call it warm.

Make a nice size pond so they have room to grow and swim, and they will have babies lol

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
With were you live I agree with addy may want at least 4 or 5 feet .safer that way cooler in the summer and warmer in the winter and less work that way .How big is the pond they are in now ,that would give you a clue if she has had them awhile .Remember they will get bigger and need room to grow .Sounds like you are getting a great deal too .She giving you the pond equipment also .

Reaction score
I dont get the equpment just the fish. Her pond is only 2 feet deep and they wintered fine. I want to have the best life possible and babies is what im hoping for.

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
I honestly don't think 2' deep is going to be deep enough to overwinter. 3'x6' should be OK for surface size. Any clue what the frost line is in your area? 2' deep here in Louisiana is about as shallow as I would attempt and I know it doesn't get nearly as cold in the winter here as it does in Oregon

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I honestly don't think 2' deep is going to be deep enough to overwinter. 3'x6' should be OK for surface size. Any clue what the frost line is in your area? 2' deep here in Louisiana is about as shallow as I would attempt and I know it doesn't get nearly as cold in the winter here as it does in Oregon

Do we have a "frost line" in Louisiana? LOL, just kidding! How do you find out what your frost line is -- is there somewhere you can web-search for that information?

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
TM, took a little digging but I think this at least get you a good idea.

Attachments

• frost-line-depth-map.jpg
    frost-line-depth-map.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 581
Reaction score
The section of Oregon where I live is listed as zone 9 by the USDA's Zoning chart for plants. It gets no colder than 10*F here according to the chart. Most sources state that a 20" depth is needed to for when it gets to 10*F below freezing to give fish enough water when it freezes, so my pond should be just fine with really any depth I choose without freezing solid.

At most we get about 1/4" of ice on ponds here that are 150gals or larger. Nothing a de-icer can't handle if need be. That is why pond keepers here can get away with a 2' depth and have it not be too, horrible for the fish to overwinter in.

As for high temps., we average about 85*F in the summer and about 90*F at the hottest around here. I will have lots of plants, both in the pond and around the edge of the pond to give it a bit of shade during the hotter months. Along with lots of movement on the water's surface.

My plan is too have a tapered pond depth from 6" deep to 3' deep, or deeper if I can manage it. The ground here is mostly clay or gigantic gravel, so whatever depth I get is what I have to live with, unfortunately.

Ask a Question