How do you euthanize a fish?

Reaction score
I am trying to pick through various posts. I hope it doesn't come down to this but I have a fish that may need to euthanized due to a terrible swollen belly. Oil of clove is given how?? Thanks!

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
just leave poor fish alone, with his fishy friends. Let him die in peace in the warm shallow water. Soft "birdie" Music can be played, and you can cover him with a lilly pad if sun too bright. Burial should be by the Sea, via one quick flush...

Reaction score
Country
United States
Im not sure if Colleen is serious on the flushing of a dead fish?

Its not recommended to flush any fish dead or alive down the toilet. You should either bury it in your yard or wrap in paper towel or news paper and dispose in the trash can.

JohnHuff

I know nothing.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
Kyrgyzstan
According to these guys, you slap them with the flat of your knife. It's quick and fast if you do it right. If anyone should know, it would be them. You're asking in the wrong forum.

carl-the-fishmonger-21.jpg

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Has your fish shown any improvement? Do you have a picture you can post?

I recently learned the clove oil method of anesthetizing a gold fish -- it was scary at first, as I was afraid I might accidentally euthanize it. It's not hard to do....follow Dave's info link. Sorry you're at this stage, but you know it's better not to let your fish suffer.

Reaction score
According to these guys, you slap them with the flat of your knife. It's quick and fast if you do it right. If anyone should know, it would be them. You're asking in the wrong forum.

carl-the-fishmonger-21.jpg
That's a tasty looking fish that guy is showing off.
I'm sure they must use clove oil to put them all under.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5B
Im not sure if Colleen is serious on the flushing of a dead fish?

Its not recommended to flush any fish dead or alive down the toilet. You should either bury it in your yard or wrap in paper towel or news paper and dispose in the trash can.
When poor Spot died, I buried her under the sumac tree at the top of my waterfall. My wife is from Newfoundland. Kelp and un-useable fish get tilled into the garden... makes the cabbages grow nice and big. Hope your fish gets better and doesn't need to be put down.

Ask a Question