How do you feed your Koi if you go out of town during the summer?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
My pond is large enough (at least 5000 gallons) and I have always wanted Koi, but I go away a lot in the warmer months for the weekends down to our property. I don't worry about my comets not having me around for the weekends but would if I had Koi. What do you Koi keepers do?

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
If it is just a weekend I don't worry about it they have always been fine with skipping a day or two. Now if I go on vacation for a week I get my nephew to feed them.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
koi and goldies can easily go a week or more without being fed...feeding on the pond. for a weekend ? they'll hardly miss it.

pondlover

Life is good today!
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Great question Pecan. We also do alot of weekend camping/fishing and was wondering the same thing. We actually started our camping season this weekend. Love this weather.

Thanks Koiguy and Tmann

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
My goldfish shubbies go without when we are gone. They do perfectly fine.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Thanks everyone! I think I am going to wait and see what happens with my ph this spring. All my levels have always been perfect but my ph has always been very high 9+ consistantly. Water in the faucet is about 8. The local pond folks say our area ponds always have high ph. But I am hoping once I plant the pond and with the skippies it will lower maybe a point.

Reaction score
If you have a garden pond they will forege naturally they will eat the alage little bugs and plants I gone weeks about feeding mine and they never seem to mind

Ask a Question