How do you get in trouble at a funeral? Like this.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a
So a friend of the family passed away and had a memorial service. Really nice church, orchestra even a choir with 2 massive televisions. So I'm sitting there in my little suit, my family, my mom and my godmother. Now this woman who was very nice knew she was a gonner a year before so she had planned it all out, even made a video. Everything was fine at first, she welcomed us all there (on video of course) and said hi to her friends and family then she said this would be a life changing event for her....Now I know I shouldn't have laughed. I know that. But as I began to giggle I saw another guy on the other side of the pew who was also giggling and trying to hide it. And then he saw me and it got worse. We both tried to play it off as if we were crying. His wife bought it while rubbing his back softly. Mine did not. If you've ever been kicked with any kind of a high heel you know it is not a great feeling. My mom looked over confused and then the wife leaned over and told her what was going on. She went from shocked to "I will end your life" in about 3 seconds. Of course then my godmother wanted to know what was going on. So mom told her and there was that same look. So for the rest of the service I had 3 women I was going to have to ride home with glaring at me. My dad and godfather had the good sense to pass away years ago so they wouldn't get in trouble. The kids kept asking what was going on and none of the ladies would tell them but they knew I was in trouble. Pretty much dead silence for about 2 hours my way from all 3 of them afterwards. Trying to decide if this is a gift or a punishment. :D

My son pulled me aside as we were all walking to the car (I walked behind the women just to be safe) and in that serious face only a child has said "Daddy, I dont know what you did but I know you are in trouble."

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
That is a funny story! I love your son comment at the end. Smart kid!

I had a friend, Courtney who was 32 years old die in April this year unexpectedly and it is still an active murder investigation. She was from Ely NV. So my best friend, her husband and I drove out to Ely for the services.

It was only Courtney's family who she had not been very close to in years, I knew none of them. But, my best friend did since she was the one to contact next of kin. So while my best friend was mingling with the family at the luncheon afterword, her husband and I just kind of stood in the corner and talked about Courtney and waited.

After about an hour my best friend walks over grabs us both by the arm and said "we need to go, you two are freaking everyone out!"

I guess the family thought we were undercover FBI who infiltrated to services as part of the investigation. We laughed and laughed about that. Courtney would have thought that was hilarious too!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
My siblings turned against me after we took my dad in, I would prefer none showed up for the final act. But if they do......I have no control will be gone and won't care.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
My siblings turned against me after we took my dad in, I would prefer none showed up for the final act. But if they do......I have no control will be gone and won't care.

I am always amazed at how sickness and death can bring out the worst in families. My Grandma was diagnosed with dementia and started getting her affairs in order before her mind went. She had property from my Grandpa when he passed. It was always my Grandpas wish that it stay in the family. So after a lot of thought my Grandma signed the property over to my brother, sister and I while she still had the mental faculties to. Her fear was if she didn't it would go to her kids (our mom, aunt and uncle) after her death and they would promptly sell it. My brother, sister and I were the only family who ever spent time on the property and she knew we would not sell it. So it went to us. She did not tell anyone.

Several years later when her mind had gone so far her kids began making plans to put her in a home. My aunt started pulling records of assets and whatnot to prepare the finances and found the property was no longer in Grandmas name but was now in my brother, sister and my name.

My aunt emailed us saying she was shocked to find that out and that we owed her, my uncle and my mom the value of the property. And demanded we sell it and hand over the proceeds.

We told her in no uncertain terms she could stick it where the sun don't shine, the property will not be sold. But anyone in the family was welcome to visit the property any time they wanted.

We have not talked since. I think that was around summer of 2012.

Ain't family great!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a

Wait you opened your home to your ailing father and they got mad at YOU?

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Wait you opened your home to your ailing father and they got mad at YOU?
My dear hubby and I got married in March, 09, two weeks later we moved my 89.5 yr old dad in with us. He was not taking his meds correctly, living alone, 45 minutes from me. I was getting phone calls from him daily about not knowing where he was (been in the house 60 yrs) old people and kids being in the house (no one there) . I had only been in Maryland 3 months at that time, just moved from Arizona.
So after one really bad call my husband picked him and his dog up on the way home from work and we moved him in. He did not want to leave his home, we didn't give him a choice, afterwards he did not want to go back..........lol
My siblings 5 of them, minus one, all driven by one, started accusing me of stealing his money, I had been doing his banking for 2 yrs, of beating him etc etc. My dad was scared to death of nursing homes, I promised him he would not go into one. He required 24/7 care. He was paying me 2 dollars a hour to care for him = 1500 a month for food, clothes, dog meds, doctors, bills etc etc. He wanted to pay me 30 a hour I told him no.
Nobody in the family would come and give me a break , 4 siblings lived near him. Nobody would take him in even just for a weekend.
We took care of him until he passed. The emails from the family were devastating after he died. It took me a year to recover mentally. Done with family. My will leaves all of them out except the one.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Wow, this brings back nightmares. My father passed away suddenly 4 years ago. When my mother died almost 30 years ago, her daughter from her 1st husband moved in to take care of dad! What a joke! Never worked a day in her life, history of drug and alcohol abuse. Needless to say dad took care of her. Money for whatever she wanted and what ever she wanted for her kids. Luckily her daughter turned out to be a gem and ran errands for dad, did the shopping and whatever needed done while her mother layed in bed 24/7.
I had a copy of dads will but never read it. Turns out he didn't realize that my mom had basically disowned her daughter and dad had her in the will for half!!
3 years to settle everything, haven't talked to her since then but still keep in touch with her daughter. This would make one heck of a soap opera!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
So a friend of the family passed away and had a memorial service. Really nice church, orchestra even a choir with 2 massive televisions. So I'm sitting there in my little suit, my family, my mom and my godmother. Now this woman who was very nice knew she was a gonner a year before so she had planned it all out, even made a video. Everything was fine at first, she welcomed us all there (on video of course) and said hi to her friends and family then she said this would be a life changing event for her....Now I know I shouldn't have laughed. I know that. But as I began to giggle I saw another guy on the other side of the pew who was also giggling and trying to hide it. And then he saw me and it got worse. We both tried to play it off as if we were crying. His wife bought it while rubbing his back softly. Mine did not. If you've ever been kicked with any kind of a high heel you know it is not a great feeling. My mom looked over confused and then the wife leaned over and told her what was going on. She went from shocked to "I will end your life" in about 3 seconds. Of course then my godmother wanted to know what was going on. So mom told her and there was that same look. So for the rest of the service I had 3 women I was going to have to ride home with glaring at me. My dad and godfather had the good sense to pass away years ago so they wouldn't get in trouble. The kids kept asking what was going on and none of the ladies would tell them but they knew I was in trouble. Pretty much dead silence for about 2 hours my way from all 3 of them afterwards. Trying to decide if this is a gift or a punishment. :D

My son pulled me aside as we were all walking to the car (I walked behind the women just to be safe) and in that serious face only a child has said "Daddy, I dont know what you did but I know you are in trouble."

Its happened to me but not at a funeral it was Captains Guard HMS Ganges with Lord Luis Mounrbattern inspecting us .
Someone dropped a smwelly one just as he was starting to inspect us .
You knew that he could smell the thing but he was just daring you to laugh , had I done my carrier would have ended there and then

Dave

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6A, we are also very windy
Country
United States
Its happened to me but not at a funeral it was Captains Guard HMS Ganges with Lord Luis Mounrbattern inspecting us .
Someone dropped a smwelly one just as he was starting to inspect us .
You knew that he could smell the thing but he was just daring you to laugh , had I done my carrier would have ended there and then

Dave
My former Battalion Commander for whom I was a member of his Staff as an staff Sargent , made General at Division and I had gone to one of the line companies in the battalion. So General Tack comes down to inspect the company one weekend, and I get stuck with being the platoon sargent for the company's headquarters platoon and I'm standing out front and I'm determined to do it by the book, I'm at rigid attention and I'm looking right through the General like he isn't there. He makes the typical inspection chit-chat with me and I haven't flinched yet, so he sticks out his tongue at me. At that point I finally look at him and crack a half smile, so I guess he got me.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
My greatest cock up was as a Leading Seaman onboard the helicopter carrier HMS BULWARK and it involved the 1st Lt , Prince Michael of Kent ,one Colour Sargant R.M. as well as myself .
I was to pipe Ceremonial Sunset face aft flight and weather decks and salute at the given signal from the !st Lt via the Officer of the Day "namely the colour sargent R.M.
Upon the signal from the flight deck the Colour sergant says to me" Q.M make the pipe Ceremonial Sunset" to which I replied "yes Colours"...
"I THEN HAD ONE OF THOSE VERY AWKWARD MOMENT'S", the last thing out of my mouth and on my mind was saying yes "Colours", to the Sergant R.M
I opened the main mike and out of my mouth came Five minutes to Ceremonial Colours meaning Sunset , realizing my mistake I quickly corrected myself by saying Oh Sh** Five minutes to Ceremonial Sunset face aft flight and weather decks and salute .
This I may add was much to the embarassment of the 1st Lt ,and to the great amuzment of Prince Michael of Kent, the Colour Sergant R.M. and myself , plus the rest of the crew who all instantly understood the humour of it all ..... to the Civilian person "Colours", is piped in the morning and yes you got it "Sunset in the evening" :ROFLMAO::D:LOL::):happy:
Much to say I wasnt flavour of the month with the 1st Lt

Dave

Last edited:

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Wow, this brings back nightmares. Money for whatever she wanted !
The instigator of the problems with my siblings was the third up sibling, she was draining my dad dry financially, a "missionary" that would dry beg my dad for money. He gave her thousands, paid bills, cashed money market funds, she was pissed I had gotten control of dad's funds and cut off the 5-10k checks he was sending her. My dad needed his funds to support his house and own life. He was in a panic he would not be able to pay the taxes on his house.
He was very sharp to the end, but could be swayed so easily. I told him send the checks if you wish, it is your money, but if you want to support your house etc you need to stop. So he did. Boy was she MAD!

We all got the cost of a new car when the estate was settled (She was executor, moved into his house and lived off the estate for two years, settling it).
So sad to lose a family over that.

Ask a Question