How Do You Keep Snakes Out of Your Garden Ponds?

Reaction score
Last spring a snake got in my pond and ate all my goldfish. Two different snakes two different days. Can someone tell me how to keep them out? I'm setting my pond back up for a Koi I got as a birthday gift.

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
go to one of the farm feed stores...i saw some kind of snake rid in a box there.

Reaction score
I was told to place moth balls around your pond. I would make sure there was no way of them getting into your water. When growing up my mother would have moth balls scattered around our home. She said it kept snakes away. I think this would be worth a try

Reaction score
I'm planning on trying the moth balls as soon as the rain stops. I know I have to keep them away from my pond so I thought about a 4 foot circle around it might be the right distance away from it. Thank you all for your help.

Reaction score
If I'm not next to my pond they shouldn't fall in the pond. I will not put any with in 4 foot of my pond due to the fact rain will wash the moth balls into the ground.

Reaction score
My pond is in the middle of 2 acers if I put the moth balls around the edge of the 2 acers there is no way they will get in my pond. I have made sure of that.
By the way Happy Valentine's Day everybody.

migsly

Banned
Reaction score
I had a snake take up residency in my fish pond once. He lived there for years. He became like a pet, kinda like the fish themselves. I named him Marty. He mighta ate a fish or two but there were so many fish in there that he kept the population level. I was beholding to him for that. The fish were comets.

Marty liked to rest on top of the lily pads. He liked to sunbathe. But he couldn't get his whole body on the pads without part of him underwater. So I built him a bridge. And he used it. He liked to rest on the decorations on the bridge, particularly a frog statue. He had a sense of humor too. He'd rest with his head between the eyes of the frog statue. Here's a pic:

Attachments

• marty1.gif
    marty1.gif
    72.6 KB · Views: 3,369
Reaction score
This is the exact snakes I kept having in my pond last year. I have not found any efficient way of keeping them out. The moth balls are merely a mild deterrent. Once they know there is a food source there, they don't mind sliding right over the moth balls. Also these are only good if you have no other animals. I have dogs and cats and these are toxic to them also. I had two of these snakes last year and they ate all but 3 of my fish. And the fish were pretty big. I also have lots of ribbon snakes every year, but these are too small to eat my fish, so I don't mind these. The only thing I have found that works is my poodle, she loves chasing and killing the snakes. She thinks it is a game. I never like killing anything that is not poisonous, but when they are eating my fish then I don't care if she goes after them. She usually gets them within a couple of days, but I do lose fish by then. Sorry I have no good answer.

koden

BrainChildCorp
Reaction score
If you put down the mothballs while they are not active, they will be driven out of your basement. For some reason this does not work with poison snakes like rattlers, but does get rid of the non-poison type.

koden

BrainChildCorp
Reaction score
I have heard that powdered fox urine can scare snakes away, and says she uses it to keep snakes away. I don't know how effective this is because she may not have hardly any snakes living around her house anyways. An easy way to do it is to just simply capture the snake and put it in a box and transport it to a new habitat similar to its old one. Catch him and move him to a lake or pond nearby.

migsly

Banned
Reaction score
If snakes are anything like raccoons, they will laugh at the moth balls. We have raccoons in our attic and somebody suggested we put moth balls up there. So we did and the next day it sounded like the raccoons were playing a game of ping pong. lol. They were batting them around and playing with them. Snakes may be different though.

I heard that Boy Scouts put a rope around their camp to keep snakes out of their tents. They say the snakes won't slither over a rope because it irritates their bellies.

Ask a Question